Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ernie Ball knockoff, fake?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, Nov 1, 2001.

1. Hey,

I was in my local music store yesterday and they had some no-name 4-string, looked like a Ernie Ball, and the headstock indicated on the back that it (the headstock only) was trademarked by Ernie Ball, but the rest wasn't. It was made in Korea or China. Anyway, it sounded and played really well, and was listed for $345. Anyone know anything about this? Wish I had a picture.

Mark

2. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    sounds like he's talking about an OLP stingray to me

3. Those are licensed budget models manufactured overseas. Nothing illegal about it. My local GC sells the 4 strings for under $250.

4. would you agree they're pretty good basses? I liked it much more than a similarly priced budget Fender. I think it's the quality of a $600 bass.

Mark

5. I really didn't have much time to play one but the popular concensus is that the 4's are nice for the price but the 5's aren't that great. The 4 I played seemed to be built well for the price. I guess it comes down to if you are a Jazz/Precision kinda guy or a Stingray guy. It's alot of bass for $250.

6. That bass kicks it, it rules, best budget bass ever. imo

7. so, are we all talking about the same bass? There is a Samick EB-type bass on eBay right now, but it's not the bass I'm talking about. Anyone have a pic, or know of a website or anything? Who's the manufacturer? My store couldn't tell me (?).

Mark

8. The OLP's are made in Asia for Ernie Ball. Those Samicks and Jay Tursers are copies so to speak. Any Ernie Ball dealer should have some info for ya.

9. I've got a 4 string OLP and it's GREAT. Awesome instrument for an awesome price.

10. Yes i have to agree.

I've tried both the OLP-4 string and the OLP-5 string..
    The 4-string was " Ok ", maybe it was the poor setup by the store.. dunno..

but the 5-string OLP actually impressed me a lot.
    It has very nice sound, and a nice sleek neck.

Very nice bass " for the buck "(tm) :D

11. RawBassist

RawBassist

Sep 1, 2002
    USA
    Hey man, it sounds like an OLP. Musician's Friend has those Basses for $240-$250. I'm looking into getting one. www.musiciansfriend.com and search for " OLP MM3 " and you should get it.

12. RawBassist

RawBassist

Sep 1, 2002
    USA
    it almost has to be one because i don't know of any other guitars like that that aren't Ernie Ball...
    you can also search for " OLP MM2 " and find it.
    this might have been what you saw.