Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LittleHetzel, Apr 26, 2002.

1. LittleHetzel

Aug 15, 2001
    whats the difference between the Ernie Ball music man stingray and the sterling bass? i dont understand, i am looking at pictures, and they look pretty much the same, so if someone knows and could explain it, that would be cool :)
    thanks guys
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hi, Jon! Basically, the Sterling has a slightly smaller body than the Stingray, and also has a "J" neck profile rather that the "P" on the 'Ray. You may want to try an archive search - it's been thoroughly discussed in the past.

Oh - and the Sterling is far superior to the Stingray! ;)
  3. LittleHetzel

Aug 15, 2001
    thanks , thats good to know :) haha, even though i could never afford either i am sure, atleast now right now
  4. I'll also add that the Sterling has a 3-way switch that allows you to get different sounds than a Stingray,but also has a Stingray sound too. It has a deeper cutaway with a rounded neck joint so you can get to the higher frets more easily. The neck is much more comfortable,imho. In reality-the Stingray 5 has alot more in common with the Sterling than the Stingray. It has all the features of the Sterling with an added low B. Great bass. A much more ergonomic,updated Stingray. I would take one over a Stingray anyday. :D
  5. check out this pic, on the left is the Sterling, to the right the Stingray......
  6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Quick! Somebody give that Stingray diuretics! ;)
  7. liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    The stingray 5's are awesome, but i just cannot stand that pickguard!
  8. personally, i prefer the stingray. try out both of them.
  9. Nice colour config, but I prefer a maple board :)

I actually like the pickguard on the SR5, so I'm gonna order one like this soon!

As for Sterling vs Stingray on the four string front, I prefer the feel of the Stingray (I like the chunkier feel) but the coil switch on the Sterling is tasty. Oh well, with the SR5 i'll get the best of both world and a low B.

10. cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    Does the sterling have a thinner neck profile than the Sting ray? it appears so to me...
  11. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I'm probably a naughty guy :D because :

- I prefer StingRay than Sterling,
    - I only like black or white pickguards,
    - I am a bit "irritated" by this current "blue fashion" on basses...

My ideal Music Man would probably be a natural finish StingRay (4-string), with a maple fingerboard and a black pickguard.

Something like that :

All the best,
  12. EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    You know there is a reason houses are painted. I personally enjoy the pearl blue Sterling yet I can't stand the pickguard on the Stingray 5 its repulsive. They should just make a backplate and use the oval pickguard like the stingray/sterling.
  13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

I believe the Sterling has a more subtle tone than the 'ray. I accredit the extra brightness to the 'ray's metal control cavity and extra mass. :)
  14. tbonesux

tbonesux Guest

Apr 7, 2002
    that is a great color combination

mmmm tasty
  15. man, we are on the same wavelength! except the natural combined with the maple board might be a bit much, i'd probably prefer a translucent green finish. that'd be the sweet sweet stuff...
  16. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I haven't really seen the "blue fassion" thing until recently... But I can honestly say that I was years ago when I first started to play bass that If i were to ever get a stingray, I would get it in pearl blue.. I started the trend.. no.. i did.. i promise.. I may have..... ok i didn't.. but i love my ray and you don't have it ;).
  17. here is a pic of how MY stingray looks, I like the blue ones very much but IMO this looks much better....

btw. it's see through red, so you can still see the grain of the wood....
  18. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Well, blue is a colour I really like, but not on guitars or basses. My car is blue, and I wouldn't like to have a natural or sunburst car :D

I don't like red colour generally, but I must acknowledge this see-through red finish is fine.

My favorite finishes for basses are actually very classic : natural, sunburst, black or white, though I am conscious that black finishes generally hide very bad looking wood (which does NOT mean bad wood or bad bass though).

All the best,
  19. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
  20. Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    A significant difference between the Sterling and 'Ray is that the Sterling has a 3-position switch that allows you to run the humbucker in series, parallel and single coil modes. (The 'Ray 5 also has this capability.)

(Another victim of Modulust)