1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Ernie Ball Music Man Classic Stingray 5

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Tom F, Oct 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Union County, NJ
    10/27 Edit: Crazy Price Drop

Relisting because it looks like my pending sale fell through. Looking to turn my EBMM Classic Stingray 5 into a 4 string Fender style bass or some $$$.

This one is special/unusual because it is a Guitar Center Special Edition with a factory-installed active/passive circuit with passive tone control. Original list price was $2,920, sold new for a hair over $2K.

The neck is a very nice piece of figured maple (birdseye with some flame and maybe a little quilt?). Weight is a reasonable 10.5 pounds, and the bass is in great shape. The gloss neck is perfect - nice fretwork and very playable. According to EBMM, this bass was born on 2/2/12, and has an ash body.

Temporary sale price is a firm [DEL]$1,400[/DEL] $1,300 shipped via USPS priority mail (2-day) east of the Mississippi, $1,325 west of the Mississippi. Willing to consider an international sale if buyer pays additional costs. Paypal is fine. Price will go back up if the bass I'm going after sells. I'm still looking for trades in the $1400-$1500 range.

Open to 4 or 5 string trades. Some preferences (plus cash as appropriate):

• Precision Style Bass (Fender or other)
    • G&L L-2000 - 80's/early 90's preferred
    • Spector Euro 4 String
    • Gibson Style Basses (maybe)
    • Partial trades for a Kala U-bass, Aguilar DB112 in Classic Black with or without tweeter, or maybe soome effects (specifically Fulltone Bassdrive, MXR BOD, EH Micro-Synth, or Aguilar pedals)
    • Not Looking for another Stingray and can't add cash on my end

Some pics below, and more at this link to Flickr. The first few pics wash out the neck figuring, the last few give you a better idea of how nice the maple looks.

9696312382_0f7683a860_o.
    9696312294_abebbaa1c8_o.
    9696312654_a986403426_o.
    9693081853_ac13daf52f_o.
    9693081991_b4c184d2a7_o.
    9696311038_b8f9f82534_o.

The passive tone sounds great, although doesn't really work exactly like a traditional passive tone knob. It's in the same family though. It somehow rolls back high end while maintaining clarity - not at all like a P-bass. Sound clips below were recorded direct from a Aguilar TH500 head, through a Pro Tools MBox 2 into Garageband. No effects, no compression:

Both clips use the same lick played three times in a row using the following settings (in order):
    1. Active mode with bass at 50% and treble at 25%,
    2. Passive mode with tone control wide open and
    3. Passive mode with tone control rolled off.

First clip - simple finger style groove. TH500 set with EQ flat, drive off, gain at noon.

Second clip - overdriven rock. Guitar and drum loop from Garageband. TH500 has all EQ at 1 o'clock, drive and gain at noon.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  2. Chrome Dome

Chrome Dome Chrome Dome Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Piqua,Ohio 45356
    Hello,Tomf,would accept an even trade,on my G&L Asat? I have always played 4string basses,might be interested in the 5string. If we could work something out. Would not be able to do any difference. The Asat is new,just ordered it a couple months ago. I put an aftermarket pickguard on there to make it look like the 50's Telecaster. No holes were drilled,it has an adhesive back, and can be removed.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  3. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Union County, NJ
    Nice looking bass! I've never gotten along with the ASAT body style so I'm going to have to pass.

4. Chrome Dome

Chrome Dome Chrome Dome Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Piqua,Ohio 45356
    Ok,Thanks,Tom. I know the earlier Asat,were all straight on the back,where most basses had the contour curve. The new Asats have the contour curve on the back,which feels better. Thanks,for your reply,I am more familiar with the 4string,I would have to get use to the 5string.

5. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Union County, NJ
    Bump for a sale price.

6. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Hi Tom,

I just sent you an email.

Red

7. bassMG

bassMG Guest

Jun 19, 2010
    Very Nice bass and good price, GLWTS

8. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Union County, NJ
    Thanks and a good morning bump. Have my eye on another bass that is listed - any trades plus ~$700 cash out there?

9. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Union County, NJ
    Opening up the trades. Why limit myself? Run stuff by me - I promise to be polite if I say no.

Played a Spector Euro I really enjoyed the other day, as well as a couple of Gibson basses, which surprised me a little. Those would be cool ideas as well.

Otherwise, I'm open to ideas.

10. tpolgrafix

tpolgrafix

Feb 15, 2006
    North Dakota
    Any interest in a Bill Nash 55 Precision (looks like Sting's), or a G&L 5500, amber 5 string?

If so I'll attach pictures.

11. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Union County, NJ
    PM sent.

12. ralphingyegg

ralphingyegg Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Any interest in a fender jazz bass plus. It's a 90s model. The plus is basically like the new deluxe basses. It's sunburst with a maple fretboard.

13. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Union County, NJ
    Thanks for the offer. I actually had one of those years ago, except wine red/maple. It was a very nice bass, but not what I'm looking for now.

That said, several conversations taking place, but nothing firm yet, so BTTT for now.

Edit: Crazy temporary price drop. Will bump in the AM.

14. It's beyond me why this hasn't sold yet! Great looking classic 'Ray and sound examples to confirm what you get...

15. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Union County, NJ
    Thanks Oli.

Made one last price drop - any lower than this and I'd rather keep it. New sale price of $1300 shipped in the continental US is good as long as the bass I'm chasing is available.

Trades should still be in the $1400-1500 range.

16. Tom! Sending you a PM!

17. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Union County, NJ
    FC! Back atcha!

18. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Union County, NJ
    Bass is on hold pending a trade.

19. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Union County, NJ
    And on its way to sunny California! Will lock the thread as soon as I can get to a computer

20. Yeahhhh!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.