1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ernie Ball/Music Man differences

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ctbass, May 2, 2006.

1. ctbass

ctbass

Jun 21, 2005
    Colorado
    What are the differences among the StingRay, Sterling, SUB basses? Is it price/components,configurations, materials or all of this. I did not see any real product descriptions or specs on the website. I am looking for a backup to my Sadowsky and was thinking of reaching for a MM.

Thanks
    Chris :confused:

2. You're not digging deep enough, Chris! The differences are in the electronics packages, the woods, the necks, the weight, and so on. You can compartively read up on all of it by going to each sub-page for each instrument.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    1. Necks. The Stingray is like a Precision bass neck, thick and kind of chunky. The Sterling neck is thinner and sleeker. SUBs are available in both flavors.

2. Bodies. The Stingray body is much larger, the Sterling body is smaller and sleeker, also weighs less. SUBs are available in both flavors.

3. Electronics. The Sterling has a 3 coil pickup, where the Stingray has a two coil pickup. The switch on the Sterling allows for single/parallel/series switching. The Sterling however, only comes with a three band preamp. Stingrays are available with a two band preamp or three band preamp, and both are available with Piezos.

The SUB Stingray is available passive or with a 2 band EQ. The SUB Sterling is only available with a 3 band EQ, with no coil switching.

4. The SUBS have a textured finish, painted neck and no body contours. Because of this and the stripped down electronics package, they are more affordable. Also don't come with a case as the Stingray and Sterling do.

4. Well, there you go!

5. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    and of course the Stingray and Sterling are now available with either dual humbuckers (HH) or a single coil/humbucker (HS) combination.

On the dual pickup Sterlings, you gain the 5-position pickup switch, but lose the coil tap switch capability (as on the single pickup Sterling).

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Oh yeah, I was getting there... :rolleyes:

7. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Sterlings have an extra fret and a nice neckjoint contour.

Owning both a Stingray and a Sterling I can tell you they are very different basses with similar looks and somewhat similar tone. The most important part is that they both rock. :D

8. ctbass

ctbass

Jun 21, 2005
    Colorado
    Thank you all very much. Especially Typlons.

C