Ernie Ball Music Man S.U.B.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lateralus_84, May 10, 2003.

1. lateralus_84

May 10, 2003
    Hey everyone... I'm new to this forum. I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about or actually played the new "Ernie Ball Music Man S.U.B.". Are they similar-sounding to the stingray? Their list price is $999.00, so they can't be bad right? I was considering ordering one online because I found that musicians friend sells them for $699.00. I can't find one at any of my local music shops, so this is why I am asking. Thanks for your help.

2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Not tried one. But welcome to the board and bump.
  3. lateralus_84

May 10, 2003
    Thanks for the welcome.... good to be here.
  4. i have been dieing to try and find a sub some were to play to see if i like it. seems thats its just a ray with out a preamp and not so flashey figure maple necks.
  5. lateralus_84

May 10, 2003
    Actually, an active preamp is an option on these basses... but musician's friend sells them with just active(i asked).
  6. not tried one myself, but may as well take a risk!

don't MF have a return policy?

If not, scratch it something and say you got it liek that :bag:
  7. lateralus_84

May 10, 2003
    Yes they have a return policy. That was my initial plan... to just take a chance and see if I liked it (i mean it is Music Man, how bad can it be?).

8. Yea, I read someone's post about the new Bongo's, and it seemed like a good bass.

are the SUBs the 5 strings, or the lower classed Sterlings?
  9. lateralus_84

May 10, 2003
    The SUBs are 4 strings... but i think they are more like lower class StingRays.
  10. lateralus_84

May 10, 2003
    Well, guys... I just ordered it. So I'll let you know if I like it.
  11. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    played one yesterday. dude it rocks. 100% stingray. the finish is meant to be indestructable, not look good. it rocked out. and american made to boot!
  12. lateralus_84

May 10, 2003
    Thanks for your input man! I can't wait to get mine! I'm going to be playing it through an ampeg BA115... I'm so excited! :eek:
  13. lateralus_84

May 10, 2003
    One more thing... speaking of the finish being "indestructable"... I heard somewhere that SUB stands for "Sport Utility Bass". Guess that's why. lol
  14. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    *hijacks thread*

What's the deal with the Musicman Bongo?

Good lord, that's an ugly guitar.

:crying: :crying: :crying:
  15. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah, theyre pretty not-so good looking(its actually not as bad in black) but dont most of them have 2 humbuckers?
  16. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    The bongos have the option of 1 or 2 humbuckers and i believe you can get them with a single coil at the neck and a humbucker at the bridge. Check out for more info about them. On the SUBS-i think they seem like a good deal. If they made them in 5 string & fretless i'd be mighty tempted to pick one up sometime. Thats all
  17. i dont understand how Ernie Ball can put out an ugly beast like the bongo but they refuse to bring back the sabre
  19. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    No worries with the Bongo. I'd play one, given the chance - this is 2003, not the 70's, sheesh!

Do they come with maple boards, by any chance? :bassist:
  20. the sabre looks much better... id be embarrased to play a bongo... its nasty lookin... i think you have to own a fanny pack to qualify for ownership anyway