1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ernie Ball Music Man Sterling - why so unpopular with pros?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ronlitz, Oct 27, 2013.

1. ronlitz

ronlitz

Apr 20, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Anyone who owns a U.S. EBMM Sterling can tell you what an awesome bass it is - yet I don't see any big-name pros playing them. Anyone have any idea as to why this is? Considering how popular the SR5 is - and the Sterling is essentially a 4-string version of that - seems odd to me.

2. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    Thats a really good question. Why is any bass popular with "pros"? Maybe because of the many different influences of each individual pro player? Marketing and advertising also both work wonders. What difference does it really make? If you are looking for confirmation on your own personal Sterling bass? I'd say to play the snot out of it, its a good bass! But I'm not a pro. But that's a really good question that could be asked of just about anything.

3. fretno

fretno

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    pretty sure they just don't like feather weight Ash bodies , flamed Maple necks or massive balls of pure rock hanging around their necks.. no ?

st2.

st4.

st1.

Jinglesmeowmeow likes this.
  4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    While I like Musicmans and am a huge StingRay fan. But IMO the Sterling feels tiny like a toy or holding a guitar. To me grown adult men look really funny holding this, and it looks more fitting slung around a woman. Hey, you asked!

The ash chosen is no differential than any other model of Ray. I've tried plenty of them that were just as heavy and some even heavier.

5. fretno

fretno

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    any bass looks fitting slung around a woman , fact

6. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I'm a smaller dude & it fits me perfectly. It would look odd on a bigger dude for sure. Love mine, the best bass going IMO. So versatile

I have 2... because nothing else is as awesome on a gig.

7. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I'm a pro and I play one!

jlfb04.
    jlfb19.

8. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    Cause they never gave if a fair chance. The sterling neck in my opinion is the best commodity Ernie Ball Music Man, and I thank goodness that's what they use on their Big Al. One of the more daring style wise bass guitars on the market, and my favorite Weapon of Choice... I don't really see that changing either.. I hope they make it it Translucent or Sparkle purple, while I'm still around to gig with one. Translucent White would be really cool too, but really, you can't go wrong with any of their options, they all were built to play and sound like audio perfection.

9. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    there's plenty of local working guys that use them around here.

I never considered the small body issue. relatively speaking my spectors and my old Warwick thumb had a smaller body than my sterling. now I've got something new to worry about. thanks Caca! lol

ChelleGame likes this.
  10. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Never considered how big or small the bass looked around my neck. When I saw Leslie West play a Les Paul in 1971, I never blamed his look on the guitar. He was fat. Almost any bass looks OK to me as long as the player isn't over 6'6" or under 5'. I've played big basses and small, but I don't blame it on my Alembic Brown Bass if it looks silly on my 6', 240lb bones. My bass speaks for itself. Oh, I love the way Sterlings look and sound. I want a Sterling 4HH like GAS was just invented... :p

11. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Compared to Ps, Js, and (to a smaller extent) Rays, you probably wouldn't be able to consider many basses "popular".

12. Randy Jackson plays a Sterling 5, I think?

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Dave LaRue used to play Sterlings till the Bongo came along.

14. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Yep. John Myung recorded some sections of DT's Systematic Chaos with a 4 string Sterling.

15. Hi.

Got gremlins in house?

Looks like they snagged the pickguard screws while You weren't looking ;).

Regards
    Sam

16. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    The Sterling 5 HS works better for me than any other 5er I've ever played...

- georgestrings

17. fretno

fretno

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    :p that was the very day it arrived , I was taking the plastic off the p/g and snapped it screwless :ninja:

18. I own a Sterling 5 HS after reading Ed Friedland's review and hearing the demos of that bass and a HH.

It is fantastic. As are all my Musicman basses.

I am currently thinking of getting a Sterling 4 or 5 HH in natural/maple board...mmm!

19. ronlitz

ronlitz

Apr 20, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Fretno - what is that bass? The body looks like a Sterling, but nothing else does! No switch, only three knobs, string-through bridge with mutes, 6-bolt neck plate, rear covers are not recessed, chrome battery cover instead of plastic battery box.

20. Honestly, the Stingray and Sterling have always looked identical to me.