Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ernie Ball Music Man StingRay VS. Rickenbacker 4003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by diego_sanchez21, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Rickenbacker 4003

21 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. Ernie Ball Music Man StingRay

25 vote(s)
    52.1%
  3. One of the other two basses mentioned on the thread or other.

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. After hours of searching for basses that would satisfy my needs, I ended up with four basses. Ibanez SR3000E, Warwick Corvette Standard, StingRay(music man) and of course the Rickenbacker 4003. I decided to put the last two basses on the list because they are the most known out of the list. Each bass has its pro's and con's. Could anyone help me decide which bass is a better bass? thnx

UP THE IRONS!!! IRON MAIDEN

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Ehhh, I played a Stingray a week ago and I wasn't very impressed with the non-slap sound. My teacher had a Rick a while back and his only complaint was that it "couldn't take a beating". If you play in a rough band or you're prone to accidents (let's face it, we've all tripped over a cord or two) then I'd get something like the Stingray or the Warwick -- something solid, heavy, and tough. Otherwise, I'd reccomend the Rick (which was what I voted for).

3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I've been the owner of several Rickenbackers and StingRays through the years. Both are great basses but they're very different.

The question is not "which one is better", but "which one will most fit your needs". The best solution is go and try them.

As a personal opinion I voted Rickenbacker. But If I had the money for it, I'd probably have a StingRay somewhere in my arsenal.

Cheers,
    JL

4. Armchair Thief

Armchair Thief Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    All I can tell ya is to play both side by side and choose wisely. Many people are probably going to chime in with that if you're going to slap, get the Music Man. (Slapping can be done on a Rick, but it's a different kind of slap.)

I'd go for the Rick personally, but I'm biased. ;)

BassSurfer likes this.
  5. They are 2 totally different sounding instruments. Just like everyone else id say play them both to see which one fits your needs best.
    Id vote RIC though, just cause they are so unique and sexy. :D

As for toughness...i find RIC's are alot tougher than they look...ive banged mine agains walls and other things (By accident of course ;)) and some were really good hits. But i have yet to even scuff it.
    Also, if you ever seen Motorhead in concert, then you know that a RIC is tough. Lemmy likes to punch his RIC several times during a show with all those metal rings (and i mean really good punches) that thing still was kickin and didnt look to suffer any damage that i seen.
    If a RIC can survive a Motorhead concert like i seen..they are tough. But of course...thats just my thoughts :)

6. I voted Ric, i can't really say it's better then any of the other basses ... but i like them. Bery sexy classic looks and a nice tone.

[/|\]

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The only meaningful way to judge the sound of a StingRay is live with a band at realistic volume levels.

They just punch/cut-through like nobody's business.

8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    As far as construction goes I think the Stingray probably pulls ahead of the Ric. They are both great instruments. Heres what I would do... get them both. Buy the Stingray first then start saving for the Ric right away! :D :bassist:

9. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    I've owned both. The rics are tough. As far as tripping over a cord and toppling the bass, I've got one thing to say, a good rule of thumb is, If you are not playing it at that moment, it should be in its case.

IMO, the rics are a bit more versatile. Like I said earlier, I've owned both and got rid of one, here's what I kept;
    [​IMG]

10. This is pretty interesting, since so far most people replying are pro-Ric, whereas the old thread, which romeoarmada posted, mostly consisted of pro-Stingray players.

But then again maybe they just haven't seen the thread yet. I'm expecting them to come.

I think both are cool, but I prefer Rics. I play a Ric and a G&L L-2000, which I like much more than Stingrays. I was really into Stingrays until I heard about G&L basses.

11. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Interesting that almost all posts are pro ric, but the poll shows otherwise.... :eek:

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    We StingRay players are too busy playing our SR's to post, but voting only takes a couple of seconds.

mkfanforever58 likes this.
  13. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    A ric plays so well, we Ric players can play and post at the same time.:D

14. sunburstbasser

sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    I went Ric. Admittedly, both basses are great and whichever you buy, you'll love it.

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    P.S.

The build quality and playability of the StingRay's are both really excellent. That's a couple of the main reasons I bought mine.

16. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Well given the fact that I love the sound of a musicman but also am seduced by those gorgeous looks of a rick I went out on a limp and did this...

StingRick

And here's a picture of my main stage bass, also built by yours truly.

17. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa

:bawl:

18. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Hehe I was gonna make that same exact post :D