Ernie Ball Musicman Factory Tour

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stingraymund, Apr 22, 2004.

1. On Tuesday I had the opportunity to visit the Ernie Ball/Musicman factory in San Luis Obispo, CA and saw how Stingrays, SUBs and Bongos were made. Here's the tour!

Musicman Factory Tour!

I didn't see their string factory; The string factory got relocated to Indio, CA (in the Southern California desert near Palm Springs) in 2002, so only the basses and guitars are made in San Luis Obispo.
  2. Very nice!! I like the layout of your web page from the tour. Very informative. I never would have guessed they used robots for final buffing :eek:
  3. This is very cool :hyper:
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Thanks for posting that.
  5. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Aren't they great people?

But the robots scare me. Robots touched my Bongos.

I can't sleep.
  6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Stop it man, you are killing me. Between that and the Rocky Mountain Way thing, I can't stop laughing :D
  7. Wow. Great customer service, and it looks like you had a great tour! Thanks for sharing. :)
  8. mrbaloo

May 9, 2002

Thanks for your fine story from the MM factory. It was very interesting to read.

9. Thats awesome! Why are the SUB's seperate from everything else?
  10. Shoulda told me you were comin for the tour and we could of met up! I live in SLO!
  11. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    all you california people getting to take these factory tours. my dream when i move back up to chicago after i graduate in december is to marry mira sorvino. then maybe i'll take a tour of lakland ;)
  12. SHB

Mar 25, 2003
    Maryland USA
    A totally excellent tour presentation. EB should use that. I'm excited because I just got my first Stingray last week and I'm digging it.
  13. Congrats. Stingrays pwn.
  14. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
  15. THANK YOU FOR THIS! whoa i didn't know that the sub bodies were 2 peices of wood. why are they?? i've been saving up for awhile.. and i am soon to be buying a new bass. Something I will keep forever.
    or Fender American Jazz

so this really helps me! i love musicmans, but the bad thing is, they are really heavy! So why do the subs have 2 pieces of wood?
  16. I really don't know. I'll ask Jon from Musicman. My guess is that they probably want to track production and sales because it's a budget market product, which is sort of new territory for EBMM.
  17. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Hmm....Lemme see, that was a Motoman robot, not sure of the model off hand (looks too old for the UP 1XX series), but I'll know tomorrow, and I work in the robotics field (communication/data/fiber optic/hyd/pnumatic for end of arm tooling-ie.the thingy that would hold the body on the end of the robot ;) ) and I also play bass.............anyone else thinking what I am??!?!?
    Time to fly in a call to Music Man!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
  18. A robot's prime directive is "To Serve Man."

A buffing robot's prime directive is "To Serve MUSIC MAN." :)
  19. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Nice tour...very nice!!!!!