Ernie Ball Musicman

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Onebassman, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Is a Ernie Ball Musicman really worth it? I love them, don't get me wrong, but do the sound a little too electronic to you? I love the way they feel, but the price may be a little too steep for a really electronic bass. Your thoughts?
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  3. I have an SR5. I wouldn't say it sounds 'electronic, ' but I understand what you mean by it. Whether people say its worth the money or not will depend on their particular sound preferences. The tone is not the best I've ever heard, honestly, but I do like it alot. It's a very powerful tone. When you combine the tone with all the other great things about the bass, the neck/neck finish, the playability, the amazing low b, the fact that it will last 35 years, etc., I definetly think it's worth the money. I'm sure you could pick one up used anyway.
  4. Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I have an EB SR4 and a Fender P-J (passive). The two sound completely different for sure.

Both fun to play and I wouldn't give up either.
  5. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
  6. I bought my Sterling brand new, and I'd say it was worth the money. Great bass. The tone cuts through a mix rather well. The neck just feels great.
  7. Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
  8. I had a SR5 for all of 2 months, I aquired it in a trade because it was more "liquid" (easier to trade) than the item it had replaced. I brought it to 2 practices. That was enough. It played too well. Afraid I might get attached, I put it up and didn't touch it again until it was shipped out. I hated to see it go, but I had no other trade bait. The point of the story is that it was my first MM product and I'm now sure it won't be my last. "Electronic" was not on the palette of descriptors.

9. I know, I know it's not the same but I love my OLP MM 5 string. I'm a "passive" guy and do all my EQ'ing at the amp so this bass does me fine. I think it has one of the more aggressive tones out there but not "electronic" at all.
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My favorite brand, nothing comes close in my eyes.
  11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    If I can pick just one thing that I love about it, then it's the EQ. So adjustable and so responsive.

My Jazz beats it in that super low, dinosaur footsteps bass tone but the MM comes out ahead in clarity and punch.
  12. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    In 25 years of playing the bass, I've never owned anything but a MusicMan. I've played others, but always found myself wanting my StingRay in my hands.
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Mine is worth roughly double that (mostly due to inflation).
  14. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    My fretless pre EB definitely doesn't sound electronic...
  15. RedBlueFireMan

Jul 16, 2005
    They are really nice basses. Great sq, really good eq. But they're a tid bit heavy, or at least heavier than I'm used to
  16. Are they really worth it?

1.) Build quality.
    2.) Responsive EQ
    3.) Customer support.

They also just feel good when you hold them. ;)