Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ernie ball musicman

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vagenis, Oct 6, 2002.

1. vagenis

vagenis Member

Oct 6, 2002
    ernie ball musicman, worth the money? good?

2. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

Lat me put it to you this way. YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES. They are expensive but they sound, look, and feel great. Now if only I had a Job

3. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Um, yeah. What Sonic said would pretty much sum it up.;)

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Worth the money and good.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Also good, and worth the money.

And Sterlings are better than Stingrays.

6. one3rd

one3rd

Jul 10, 2002
    Minnesota
    Get a 5-string Stingray. If I'm not mistaken, it has the same pickup configuration as the Sterling.

7. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    Love my SR4 & 5. They're all I play now...

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    They are good. I had a SR5 for awhile.. I got rid of it when I bought my Elrick.

You could save alot of time if you didn't have 4 or 5 different threads going at once by the way.. makes it easier on you and others here

9. I have a SR5 White with maple I've played for 7 yrs now. I've bought and sold a Tobias, Ken Smith, and a Fender Roscoe since then but the SR5 is still going and going. 1st of all, they have a tone that will cut through the mix no matter who you are playing with. If it is too aggressive you can tone it down with EQ but you can't EQ what ain't there. It has a neck that is 1 3/4" at the nut. This is the same width and the 51 P bass. It is wide enough for 5 strings but skinny enough so as not to make you hand sore. The string spacing is 11/16 at the bridge. This could be a little wider but most people can get use to it. Fit and finish is 1st class. So for around $1200 (discount) You get a US made bass with great tone and playability.

10. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I just got a 1995 4-string Stingray and it's the best sounding and playing bass I've ever had. They look kinda like a Fender but they sound so much bigger and better IMO. Now I need to get a 5... it's never ending is it???

11. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    "You will have to pry my Sterling from my cold dead hands"....
    Theodore Roosevelt (Noted bassist)

:D

12. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    I'm a proud owner of a Ernie Ball Musicman - Sterling.

I've only got nice words to say about it....

But I'm currently seeking for a Fender Jazz Bass "Vintage" '65-'75 any good advice or tips ?

13. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I got my Musicman Stingray a month ago and really haven't touched any of my other basses since (except my double bass). It's that good. It's the bass you get and realize the search is finally over...plus the range of tones you can get by moving where you play with your right hand is amazing...over the humbucker for a tight farty funky tone and more towards the neck for a gut rattling deep and full tone...

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Why?

15. Them's fightin' words, Heavy D. :D

Seriously though, either model is just fantastic. I finally bought a Stingray last December after wanting one for 20 years. I must be honest and admit that buying that 'Ray has pretty much cured my G.A.S. True, there are other basses that I want, but, everytime I plug *my child* in it is pure heaven. Some people say they're one trick ponies, but, not me. That thick dripping tone is EXACTLY the sound I love.

As far as the Stingray/Sterling debate goes, I'll put it this way: They are both excellent instruments, but, I feel the Sterling does't quite nail the thick chunky tone of a Stingray as well as a Stingray, (thank you, Embellisher) but, the Sterling is definitely more versatile. You should absolutely play both for about a half hour each before buying. Whichever one you choose, you'll get a bass that always satisfies.

Good luck.

Mike J.

Hey Heavy D., STINGRAY, STINGRAY, STINGRAY!!! :p

16. Those who feel this way are probably One trick players. It's all in how you pluck it.

17. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Exactly, the key is if you don't yet know how to play without always resting your thumb somewhere, you'll need to learn with a stingray, but once you do, the world's your oyster as far as tonality.

18. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    One of the reasons I bought my SR5 is that for the money nothing sounded as good to my ears. I played stuff that cost twice as much but they didn't sound twice as good. They had prettier wood but it's about the tone and the MM SR5 had tons of it. All the growl and spankyness you could ask for. Not to mention the fantastic neck and playability

19. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I say, that's a JOKE, son! A JOKE!

20. What? You mean they don't come with a Thumb Rest????