Ernie Ball Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lsu921, Nov 10, 2003.

1. lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    I've been having my Stingray for about 4 month now, and can't get the sound out of it that I'm after. It's not nearly as in your face as I thought it would be. Any tricks I should be aware of? I bought it with a Flea sound in mind, but it's not close.
  2. Boosting the mids and cutting bass can help with this. Also it depends on where you play. The closer to the bridge you play the more it bites. The closer to the neck the warmer and mellow it is. EB basses more then most I have played really change in sound depending on where you play.

Also use the EQ on your amp to cut bass and boost mids. You can boost treble a little, but MM pups are pretty hot anyways. I wouldn't cut bass too much though since it can make the sound lose definition.
  3. Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    Out of interest, as far as playing is concerned, where would you rest your thumb when playing near the neck of a bass like the MM? i have just realised i don't have a problem with this as my current bass is an ibanez eda-900 which has a groove cut out for resthign the thumb near the neck. Do you just not bother to rest the thumb?

4. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Isu921 - Out of curiosity, what amp/cab are you using along with your StingRay?

I hate to say this, but if you do a search on "Flea" you will find several answers. I know cause I have posted to most of those threads.

Basically, Flea didn't use the StingRay to do most of his recording with, but he did use it for a few songs (atleast one song that I am sure of).. and ofcoarse, he did play with it live for several years. Much of his tone is in his fingers. I have found I can get pretty dang close to his tone with my 'Ray (although not necessarily what I am after.) Do a search and you will see what I (and many others) have posted about this.

Lewk - I rest my thumb on the string above the string I am playing. If I am playing the E string by the neck, I usually just have my thumb in the position that it would be in if there was a thumb-rest there - but ofcoarse there is no thumb-rest.

I asked about this too, before I bought my StingRay... basically, I find it better without a thumb-rest.. really makes no difference to me. I don't see why you would need to rest your thumb on anything, it is still in the appropriate position, a thumb-rest would actually get in my way I think... When I am playing the E string over the pickup, I rest my thumb on the pickup, but only because it is right where my thumb would be anyways. When I am playing the other strings over the pickup, I rest my thumb on the string above the one I am playing, just as I do no matter where I am playing.
  5. Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    Yeah, i guess it will just take some getting used to to play on a bass without thumb rest. obviously, like you say, playing over the pickup would rest on the pickup.
  6. lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    I have two different amp heads. 1 is an Eden WT300 the other is a GK400. The cabinets are Eden 210 and GK115.

I play with my fhumb resting on the pickup.
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    lsu921, I can get pretty Flea-esque tone out of my Ray with GK 400RB-III...leave the highs and lows in the middle and crank the mids to your liking. Make sure you have your boost way up on your head too.

Lewk, when playing by the neck, I usually either use the string above, or the neck when I'm looking for something really warm. I figure it sticks out enough, I might as well use it.
  8. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Its quite simple... Just dont rest your thumb anywhere... You dont 'Have' to rest your thumb at all. Most people (that I know) improve there ability ten fold by 'not resting' there tumb. It gives (for me) a different sound when it is not resting and when it IS resting. A good effect for me.
  9. I know what you mean. I ordered a musicman and never could get that old sound. I get a great musicman sound out of my Lakland 55-02 by panning to the back p/u and cutting the middle frequency on the bass. Amp settings are flat.
  10. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Have you ever listened to Mothers Milk? I would bet money most if not all of those songs are on a Stingray.

I agree that a lot of the sound is in your hands though. I was thinking Flea-tone when I got my Ray and it sounds a lot like his tone but not quite. Also, I dont slap very well. You should try more to sound like you anyway because theres probably enough Flea clones out there.... ;)
  11. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Yeah.. I didn't think Flea used a StingRay to record Mothers Milk with.. but then I was driving to edmonton listening to Mothers Milk and I thought "hmmm, that does sound kinda like a StingRay.. more like an original StingRay than a newer 3-band EQ 'Ray (IMO)"...

But I dunno forsure.. I can't find any literature stating what he used to record the earlier albums with... I also think people get "Flea tone" mixed up with "StingRay tone" ..but that is just my thought on the matter.

I also agree that you should just try and sound like yourself.. too many Flea wannabees out there.

Keep in mind that StingRay tone varys quite a bit... Flea's 'Ray tone is different from Lally's (Fugazi) StingRay tone which is different from that Queen song "another one bites the dust" StingRay tone, which is way different from some band I seen on some talk show the other night whos bassist rocked a StingRay that sounded really good and very StingRay-ish to me.. All sound different from my StingRay tone, etc.

I dunno why I just babbled on about that.

I wish I could remember the name of that band I seen on the talkshow (Letterman or Leno or Daily or some late night show)... they looked and sounded like they were still in the 80's... can't remember their name for the life of me.