1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ernie Ball Slinky Cobalt Flatwound Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Venturella, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Venturella

Venturella

Feb 10, 2016
    I purchased a set of ernie ball slinky cobalt flatwound strings yesterday and so far, I only have one complaint about this one. I dislike the metallic smell that I get on my fingers while playing. I was aware of cobalt strings having that smell but I did not know that the smell also applied to the flatwound version. Does the smell go away after a while or does it stay?

Flippy likes this.
  2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Slinkies Are Stinkies! :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh:

michael_t likes this.
  3. hookgrip

hookgrip

Sep 8, 2014
    I just opened a package of these this week and didn't notice any smell at all. I DID notice that the A string was bad out of the wrapper- the winding had become... for lack of a better word... a "slinky" that slid up and down toward the ball end.

It kills me to think I wasted that money, and it's too late to return them since I bought them back in December and only just now got around to trying them out. I guess the lesson learned is to open up your new strings and make sure they're good/not stinky, even if you don't plan on using them right away.

4. I bought my set last week and also noticed the metal smell. Gone now.

5. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    It will go away in time, it’s common for lots of strings.