1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ernie ball slinky.... too fret noise!?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by g-picker, Nov 13, 2006.

1. g-picker

g-picker

Nov 11, 2006
    I get too much fret noise when playing my BEAD tuned spector... I strung it with .135 ernie ball slinkies (nickel) and the only thing I coul hear when playing into my amp is string and fret noise... I tried many action settings, from high to low, but the string noise I get is actually LOUDER than the body of the sound.

Could you please suggest me other strings I could try?

I noticed that this annoying noise is much attenuated when I tried other basses strung with d'addario strings, but I always thought that the slinkies and the d'addario sounded very close....

2. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    i dont know, pluck upwards and not downwards. raise your action, turn ur treble down. or change strings...

3. my slinkys have a bit of buzz, but only enough to make it sound a bit rocky when you dig in

4. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I also find EB Slinkys to be somewhat coarse with a lot of string noise. I suggest DR Sunbeams or D'Addario XL's. :)

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I use regular Slinkies and have for quite some time. I'm happy with them. I think they sound great with just the right balance of zippy zing and deep smooth melow-ness and produce a nice strong fundemental with great string to string balance. They're long lasting too. These strings have been used by countless bass players for many, many years with great success.

If you are getting so much string noise that your bass seems unplayable, you might want to take this opertunity to check your bass for set up issues and also check your technique for any issues there.

Also, with a 135 B, it sounds like you are using the heavy gauge "power slinkies"? I tried those one time and absolutely HATED them. I didn't think there would be that much difference between the regulars and the heavies but there is. Regular slinkies are great strings, I even liked the "super" slinkies (light gauge) but I did not like the power slinkies one bit. Maybe your problem has more to do with gauge than brand?