Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ernie Ball Slinky's

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ty McNeely, Jan 3, 2001.

1. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I just got a 5 string set of these....(45, 65, 80, 100, 130).....they are GREAT. It may just be that my old Fender strings were old, but these are really good. They are much brighter than I think my Fender's ever were. My only complaint is that they aren't tapered at the end, so I had to squeeze the B string down, but other than that, I'm really impressed.

However, I'm not sure that they are worth the $43:eek: that they cost!

What are everybody else's thoughts?

2. i haven't used slinkys for a while but i always thought they were a good string. don't know where you payed $43 for a set but you should try http://www.juststrings.com or http://www.musiciansfriend.com and save yourself about $20 a set.
    did you get a free massage with those or something?

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

4. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Well, it was an emergency. I didn't have any extras, and needed them TODAY:( There are only 2 music stores in my town, and only 1 had 5 string sets:( I know I got screwed, but I'm hopin these will last me at least half as long as my Fender's did.

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Also, I don't have a credit card, seeing as I'm only 15:( And my parents won't give me theirs I don't think.

6. ask them maybe they will if you explain the bargins you can get. if not when they aren't lookin just. . .ahh nevermind
    maybe they will be impressed that your being thrifty.

7. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I also use the ernies but I bought mine at Mars music $23, you got ripped of. I love them also, best nickel wounds I've found. I used DR hibeams in the past and until recently had never used nickel. This is my first pair and like I said I love them.

8. about the credit card thing, tell em that u have the money but cant order w/ out a credit card. give them the money of the final cost, and then use their credit card, no one is losing money that way. i hope u can understand this, it kinda came out wrong.

peace

9. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Well, like I said, it was an emergency, so I had no choice. I will probably go to Guitar Center for my next set of strings (I'm gonna buy backups so this doesn't happen again), either that or order them from juststrings or musiciansfriend or whatever. Thanks for the advice, btw.

10. Your Ernies are vastly superior to the Fenders, especially the B string. Fender B strings are very floppy. Because you have replaced a tapercore string with a conventional one, you may need to lower the saddle under your B, in order to retain the correct string height. If you dont know how to do this, go see the guitar tech at a local store (but not the one where you bought the strings!) or a luthier, or even a friend who knows about such things.

11. most banks will give you a check card nowadays if you sign up for a checking account. it takes money straight from your account, like a check, so you can't put yourself in debt, and you can order stuff online with it.

btw, i love ernie balls for bass and guitar, my top pick anyday.

12. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Hmmm...Ernie Balls are at the bottom of the bass string barrel (along with GHS) in my book. When I bought my used Ernie Ball StingRay I figured I'd slap a set of EB bass strings on and go straight to the tone zone. Ugh! They were stiff and clanky, without much warmth or sustain. Haven't had that problem with DR or Dean Markley, though EB guitar strings are fine with me.

13. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    I tried putting a set of ernieball Slinky's on my Spector NS-5 (chech version) and the .130 B string was too thick to fit through the bridge. I've never had this problem on my other 5 which is a drag as I really like the sliky's. Can anyone recomend some other brand of strings that is similar or possibly better. I'm leaning toward nickel but am open to anything and am looking for an aggressive sound that can be warm and fat when I back off the treble. Thanks. Oh, yeah the B string has to be a .130

14. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    Damn I meant to start a new thread not reply to this one. Oops! While on the topic of B strings my favorites would be either the ernieball sliky except for the fact I can't seem to use it on my new spector or the MTD strings.