Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ernie Ball Stingray/Sterling tones

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rafterman, Jul 2, 2001.

1. would you guys say that these basses have a rather wide range of tones?

i know that these are really good basses

but i have another question for the people that own this/these basses...with the pickup closer to the bridge, how have people faired with where they rest their thumb?...i rest my SR-506 has 2 humbuckers, and i rest my thumb on the pickup closer to the neck. I like the tone better there cuz it picks up more bass rather than the trebly sound.

2. the Sterling has a much wider range of tones than the Stingray. I own a Sterling and have tried many Stingrays. The preamp of the Sterling is more flexible and the coil switch adds even more versatility. The Stingray is said amongst most bass players to have ONE sound. It is without a doubt, a great sound though.
    With respect to your question about the pickup, it's perfect for me. The sound isn't too muddy or too thin and the tension feels just right.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Floating thumb technique does away with the need for a place to rest your thumb.;)

I had never even heard of it until I discovered Talkbass, but now that's the only way I play.

The Stingray is not versatile as far as a lot of different sounds, but it does fit well in a variety of musical styles, and has a great tone IMHO.

The Sterling is more versatile, but doesn't quite nail that Stingray tone.

4. That's quite true but I've found that I can live without that "Stingray" tone in return for far greater versatility. Maybe one day when I have enough money I'll get a Stingray so I can nail that one true tone.
    BTW embellisher, would you say the Ray 5 gets that Stingray tone plus the versatility with the coil switch or is it more closely related to the Sterling.

5. embellisher

IMHO, the 'Ray 5 is a Stingray in name only. Well, and maybe neck dimensions.

One of the 2 reasons I bought my Pedulla Rapture J2 over the Stingray 5 was because if I got a Musicman, I wanted that tone, and I played 5's vs. 4's for hours at every dealer in town and none of the 5's got that signature Stingray tone.

Of course, the other reason that I bought the Pedulla is because it wound up being $250 less than the 'Ray, and although I love the Stingray tone, I love a great 5 string J type bass too.

6. ok ok ok....

but how about the Sterling with the Piezos?...and the Stingray with the Piezos...do the piezos make the sound a lot better or not that big a difference?...Embellisher?

7. embellisher

I love piezos on a fretless bass. My Sonus Custom fretless 5 has them. Great warm almost upright tone, but capable of a lot of brightness too.

I have no experience with piezos on a fretted. They would probably add some snap and string noise to slap and stuff like that.

8. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I own a Sterling and found I much prefer it over a Ray. Ray's are great but I love versatility because I change my tone frequently when I play and the Sterling allows that luxury.

I do not use a thumb rest either. I hate the damn things. My thumb floats most of the time, occasionally resting on the PU.

I've played a Ray with a piezo and it sounded great. It added a nice "sparkle" and clarity to everything for all styles, finger, tapping, slap. If you are purchasing a new one and can swing it, I'd say go for the Piezo. You won't regeret it. It offers a dimension that a Ray, or any bass without one, would never produce if you ordered one with just stock features.