Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ernie ball stingray vs. sterling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jnightmare, Aug 7, 2004.

1. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    which one do you guys prefer and why? how does the sound vary between the two? i just basically wanna know everyones thought is on the two basses and the differences between them in terms of sound and playability.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You know, nobody's ever asked that question! ;)

Seriously, you'll find lots of information about the differences between these two fine basses in the archives.

3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    IMO the biggest difference are their necks. the StingRay's neck feels more like a Precision bass, the Sterling's neck is slightly narrower, very Jazz bass-like. The Sterling has a 3-way pickup selector that allows the pickup to be run in series, single coil, and parallel. The Sterling's body is also slightly smaller than the StingRay's. Both are well-built and sound great.

4. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    well would you say a stearling is a much more versatile bass than the stingray?

and also sorry for starting this thread heavy, i only started it because i did a search and didnt find anything with a similar title.

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Just a bit more flexible IMO. Not a problem in asking, that's why we're here. :)

6. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    For what its worth I had a sterling which I liked. I kidded myself it suited me better than a stingray as my hands arent that big but after trying to play a few stingrays I was converted. I now have 2 stingrays and no sterlings. In my opinion you could get more sounds out of the stingray but the sounds werent quite as good.

Steve

7. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    Yeah, I prefer the larger size of the ray as well as the tone. Sterlings feel like toys to me. I always thought it'd be kinda nice if they'd throw the same switch onto a stingray so there were a few more pickup "configurations" available

8. robe

robe

Oct 19, 2003
    Australia-Brisbane
    i own neither but i do own an olp mm2 and have tryed real stingrays and sterlings many times. IMO the sterling feels very comfortable to play with its thin neck and reduced body size(especially for someone with smallish hands) but i think i prefer the much meatier and more substantial feel of the original RAY.

9. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    im a very small guy myself, with a set of small hands to match. i've only tried playing the stingray and actually found them to be very comfortable and easy to play. i just never got a chance to try out a stearling yet.

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    No prob - I just wanted to be sure you knew there was a lot on this topic in the archives. This is one of those "evergreen" questions, so some people may not respond again.

BTW, Sterlings are far superior to Stingrays - *everyone* knows that! :D

11. Char-Lee

Char-Lee

Aug 29, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    Yeah if you have small hands then the Sterling is perfect, I also agree that the Sterling has a wider tone range, its super comfortable and it still gives you that traditional stingray sound. I own a Stingray 5 and I've owned two stingrays they are great basses but the more I play the Sterling the more I like it, check it out at music store

12. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    ive read on a site that some people say stearlings can be a little noisy. i dont remmeber how they had the pickup switch set, but they said it can be a little noisy. is that true for all year models? or certain ones? and is the stingray less noisy? i probably wont get to check one out for myself until later this week, but was curious about diff. model years.

13. Char-Lee

Char-Lee

Aug 29, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    You know I've never noticed any difference in noise between the Stingray and Sterling they are both very clean and quiet sounding. I did notice with the new Ernie Ball Bongo bass that it had a horrible low frequency buzz that you could only hear when you had an cranked up above 12o'clock. But I've never noticed it with the Stingrays and Sterlings

14. STINGRAY!!

I have played both, and I really prefer the Stingray. The tone is meatier IMO. I also like the fact that I can plug in, and know the bass will sound great straight away. The slightest adjustments to the 3 band EQ are all that is necessary to noticeably change the sound. I found that the pickup switch on the Sterling was pretty useless as the best sound came from the normal setting (same as the stingray). I also like the body size and the neck is perhaps 1/8 inch or 3mm thicker at the head, and not at all thicker at the body end. I find that this is really not enough of a difference for me to feel that the neck is any slower than the Sterling neck. I quite like the size of the neck, very comfortable for slap and fingerstyle work. I say Stingray all the way... that's why I bought one! :D

15. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I have three of them and none of them exhibit this characteristic.

16. Are you sure you actually did search these forums? ;) 'Cause I just did, and came up with this: Malfunctional link edited out.
    And don't be sorry for starting a new thread on this subject, it's, as stated above, an evergreen.
    My personal stand in this never ending debate is that the Stingray looks better than the Sterling, and also, I prefer the beefier neck of the former. Both are top class instruments, though, and you'll have to play both to see what feels and sounds best for you.

17. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    that link doesn't work.

18. motorhall

motorhall

Jul 1, 2004
    They both sound good. I bought the Sterling because I like smaller necks.

19. How very odd. Try this instead: [Edited out one more link. Seems like posting search result links doesn't work - maybe the search times out, 'cause both this and yesterdays link worked right after I posted them. Just follow the advice below instead, using the "advanced search" function]
    And if that doesn't work either, try searching thread titles using the key words sterling stingray. That way you'll find at least three threads on the subject, on the first search result page...

20. STINGRAY