Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ernie ball strings or D'addarios

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Impulsee, Mar 31, 2003.

1. STICK WITH THE SLINKYS

51 vote(s)
    52.0%
  2. don't be dumb, switch to the d'addarios NOW!!~!!~!!~!!

47 vote(s)
    48.0%
  1. iV been playing bass for maby 2 years now. At first i had a crappy austin p bass wanna be thing, it was bad, and i put some GHS really thins strings on it, and hated it. Then about a year ago, i bought a MIM fender 4 string jazz bass from my instructor. When i went to put some new strings on it, he reccomended some Ernie Ball roundwounds 50-70-85-105's for it. So i put thoes on, and kept them. Then i wanted to put some new strings on about 2 weeks ago, so i bought a pack of the same thing. I'm too afraid to experiment with other strings because im afraid ill hate them and its just a waste of moolah. Anyhoo, tonight i was at a local music store called "music go round" and my friend and some guy that worked there recoomened D'addarios or whatever. So im thinking of giveing them a shot. I dont rememebr what gauge they are, there in the box with the orange circle and they had 3 different kinds there, these were in the middle, they wernt ligtt or heavy, theyre like medium. What do you guys think. Get the d'addarios or stick with the slinkys. heres a pic of the slinkys.

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Stick with the ernies -- I've had the same set on since October. Almost six months, and they still sound great -- compare that to, say, D'addario Hi-Beams which sound amazing. For a week. They're great to buy just before a funk gig, but they just drop flat too soon to even be close to worth the $60 CAD you'd have to pay for them.

3. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    I've used both and they are essentially the same exact string. They are made in the same factory and I cannot tell the difference between the two. EB were my string of choice until I found TI Powerbass strings. Both EB and D'Addario sound great but go dead very very quickly.

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I think that DR makes the "Hi Beams", not D'Addario.

Impulsee - if youre happy with the EB's, stick with them.

5. see its not that i perfer the ernies, cause iv never tryed the d'adarios, do you think i should try them...i think i will. if there the same, its cool, if there diferent, then sweet. worth a shot. thanx.

- w00t

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Whoops, there's a mistake on my part. :oops:

Anyway, like I said earlier: I've been using the same set of Ernies since October, and they still sound great -- $35 CAD, too.

7. kutz

kutz

Mar 19, 2003
    Orange County CA
    Go for the D'addarios. They feel great and last forever. I've had the same set on my bass for almost 2 years now and they still sound good.

8. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    "see its not that i perfer the ernies, cause iv never tryed the d'adarios, do you think i should try them...i think i will. if there the same, its cool, if there diferent, then sweet. worth a shot. thanx. "

My point is if you like EB's then you will like the D'Addarios. Heck, you may find a small difference that makes em better for you!!

As far as them lasting two years....I have yet to find a roundwound (even powerbass that last forever) that sound great after two years. My guess (and this is not an insult in any way) that you probably like the sound of a dead roundwound. Many people do. D'Addario's and EB's go dead very very fast so they will get that sound quickly and maintain it!!

9. I personally like the EB super Slinky's. they are a lighter gauge than the reg. slinks and they feel and sound great and they last fairly long but lose their brightness after a month or so (which may still be a good amount of time compared to other strings).

10. Save your points and get free gear!!!!!

11. Desdenova

Desdenova

Feb 18, 2003
    Hampton, VA
    Holy crap! I have the same thing. I realized a while ago that it's in all ways a cheap P-bass knockoff.

I don't know too much about strings, but everyone I know who's used an Ernie Ball guitar / bass strap said it broke. I have one, and it creaks and whines so loud I can't hear myself, and I decided those aren't the people I want making my strings if their straps are like that. And Al DiMeola uses D'addario guitar strings, so I might be a little biased. I'd like to try their bass strings, but I may as well wait until the ones I have get worn down.

12. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I like D'Addarios much better than EB strings. IMO, they last a little longer, yet they sound just as bright. In many cases where I used EB strings, they broke pretty easily.

13. What about the D'addario slowwounds? How do they compare to Fender Superbass strings. My E on the Fender's is dead, I would like to try some

14. I like D'addarios very much, I think the kind you're thinking of getting are the kind I always use.

Personally, I think they're great, they're deep without being muddy, I love the way old D'Addarios sound.

I had some EB Hybrid Slinkies which isn't a very fair comparison, but they had more midrange which they retained after they died.

15. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    D'Addarios are tehbest, just because. Buy them now- its all I use.

16. I say go with the Ernie Balls! I've tried out some D'Addario strings, they were good, but I love my EB ones! As a matter of fact, Casey Ball gave me a set of Stainless Steel Regular Slinkys today and I threw them on my fretless and DAMN! I love the sound of fresh Stainless Steel strings :D

17. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Not that I've ever used Ernies but I'll say what I can...

D' Adarrio's are great.

18. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Ernie ball strings are made on D'addario string machines. D’addario use to make string for them but sold them the machines to do it for them self’s out in California. D’addario makes strings on Long Island. ;)

19. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I think the D'Addarios are a slightly better string. They are smoother to my ear and have more versatility.

20. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    I totally agree. I've been using D'Addario XL on my Fender for years. Last month I bought a set of EB Slinkys.

The EBs seemed thinner, but stiffer, very bright, metallic, less warm, with compressed mids and a little boomy on the lows.

It's a good string, but on THIS PARTICULAR BASS (Fender Jazz Mex, bart pickups) I'll stick to D'Addario.