Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ernie ball strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 6sixx6, Oct 12, 2004.

1. 6sixx6

6sixx6

Oct 2, 2004
    wisconsin
    anyone here use Ernie Ball super slinkys 45-100 i am thinkin of geting some for my p bass i dont like thick strings and am currently using GHS bassics 45 105. should i stay with this or try some ernie balls. i play rock punk and metal. thanks for your help

2. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I've used the EB's 45-100's for several years. I've tried just about every other brand there is, but I always come back to these. I can't pinpoint exactly what it is, but I prefer these strings. My experience is that the EB's last longer than GHS.

My suggestion: Try both sets. That's the only way you'll really know which ones you prefer.

3. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    IME, I have had a much better sound and a better feel from EB Slinky's than anything by GHS. I used to use strictly Ken Smiths on my 4 string but in a pinch would choose EB.'s over any other "common" string.

:edit: disclaimer, I havnt had the opportunity to try any of the Sadowsky strings yet. I'll likely use those if they fit my 55-01, if not, I'll prolly have to go w/ custom Smiths. ( not that that is a bad thing mind ya...heh)

4. If you like the Ernie Ball strings you might want to give Curt Mangan strings a try. Curt worked for Ernie Ball for something like 25 years and has started his own string company. I switched over to them and love them, great tone.

www.curtmangan.com

They are priced very well when you factor in the 20% he gives for orders over $20. I usually get them the next day when I place an order too.

Just thought I would throw out another option for ya.

Scott

5. 6sixx6

6sixx6

Oct 2, 2004
    wisconsin
    i have been using regular wraps should i try flat wounds what are the advantages and disadvantages

6. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    IMO, Its not so much a matter of disad./advantages, as it is personal preference and the sound your going after. In your position I would stay with roundwounds. If S.S. are too rough on your fingers or you dont want as much high end bite try nickels.

Use the search function and Im sure you will find plenty of info. on the diff. and preferences for diff. styles.

That said, dont be afraid to experiment, who knows, you may just find "your" sound.

Some other links:

http://www.bgra.net/2004/index.php?content=feature&page=strings

http://www.bgra.net/2004/index.php?content=feature&page=flats

7. I just got a set of new Ernie Ball.....and it's just amazingly good....IMO

It has really birght sound, but at the same time very punchy. I think it's like a extreme version of DR highbeamer... Overall, i think it play and sound good...

8. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I have been using EB 45-100 strings for about five years and bought about 40 sets. I have yet to get a bad string.

My set-up guy loves them becuase they are "low maintenance".

I am going to try light gauge for a change.

9. EB strngs are great, I really love them on my stingray