Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ernie Ball Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by disturbedbass13, Feb 23, 2005.

1. DUDES. how about we talk about my favorite strings ever. Ernie Ball. What are your guy's prefs? What Slinky does it for you? I use Hybrid Slinkys, they're great.

:bassist:

2. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Ultra Slinky's is what my SR5 is fed with. Nothing like them!

ANDRUCA

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I just put a set of hybrids on my everyday bass and I must admit that I like them. I do agree with some on TB that they don't last quite as long as some other brands, but I have never had a bad set of Ernie Balls!

4. stingray5bbx

stingray5bbx

Feb 11, 2005
    I dont know if 5 string sets are $16 everywhere, but for that price that I pay, I cant' find a better deal. I've NEVER broke one, and they have a good tone on my SR 5.

I never think too much about it.. but I'm sure they dont stay as bright as some others. But I find it hard to get a bad tone out them when they're old

5. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    I am using some of their flatwounds currently. I decided to try some, especially since my current bass has such a clunky high end tone.

I also use Ernie Ball Earthwoods on my accoustic bass guitar that I use when playing Bluegrass.

6. Eoghan

Eoghan

Dec 5, 2004
    Australia.
    They're $50 here in Australia, But I still buy them (Considering I want som Elixir strings, but no ****ing way am I paying $120 for them!)

7. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I use Power Slinky's, mainly because I use low tunings. I scored 4 packs for $40 off the 'bay. :D

8. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    There's some kind of snobism in strings too as it is with basses. Word spreads and suddenly Elixirs are 2.4 better than Ernie Balls!!!! Same with basses. Do you really thing a Warwick is twice better than a Musicman? (not saying Elixirs or Warwicks are not super quality products, just pointing out how this snobism overprices them).

ANDRUCA

9. I was thinking of getting some Ernie Balls for my 5 string, as round here you can't find D'addario 5 string sets(I normally use D'addario). How do they compare to D'addario?

10. I used Ernie Ball on my Stingray, also Daddario, Fender, Elixir, Elites, Firewire, etc etc.

For me the best average cost set is Rotosound Nickel strings, they last longer sound sweet from new and cost about £12.00 a set in the UK so i can change every month if need be.

11. Haven't played with any Ball's for a while :)...

haha, but seriously, can anyone who has experience with both these and a smoother string, say a T.I. Jazz round compare the outer wraps? Does the Ernie ball have a harsh feel or is it on the smoother side? (The smoother side being the tiny windings of a jazz round string.)

12. In my opinion, Ernie Balls sound a LOT better when slapped.

13. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I started out with EB slinky's. I went to Elixers, DR high Beams and Fat Beams, Rotosound, Fender Dean Markley Blue Steel, and ended up back with the Ernie Ball slinky because I liked them better than the others.

I use Slinkys on my SRX300 and Super Slinky's on my Fender Jazz

Great strings and they are less expensive than most other brands.

14. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I bought a set of Slinky's just because it was all my local store
    had as far as 5 string sets. I liked them so much I'm using them on both my basses now. Liked them more than my TI Super alloys and they lasted longer too. Mine are just plain slinky's. Didn't know ther were super, hybrid, ultra slinky's

15. Hybrid Slinkys for me, on all three of my basses. They sound great, and the price is right.

16. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Wait, Hybrids are Steels right?

Just wondering because I was gonna go for nickels or maybe these but just wasnt sure...

nevermind, it says quite blankly on their site

17. Love 'em. Awesome strings! GO EB!

18. i just put a set of super slinkys on last week, they're great! my new favorite. :)

19. does anyone know if Tool really uses Hybrid Slinkys? I saw that on their site, but I have yet to see if they play with them or if they just "use" them.

20. EB Slinky 5

BEST.........STRINGS..........EVER