Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ernie ball strings

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by apfroggy0408, Sep 3, 2005.

1. apfroggy0408

apfroggy0408

Jan 21, 2004
    texas
    Well a couple of months ago, I got some ernie ball strings. I loved them. But just recently when I pulled out my peavey bass with its stock strings, I noticed how far away from the neck of my austin the ernie ball strings were. On my peavey they are real close to the neck, and it seems way easier to play some tunes. Is this just how there supposed to be? Or did I string them improperly? Can I just re- string them, but a different way? What can I do to get these ernie ball strings closer to my austin's neck?

thanks

**I was told to come to this forum for more help**

2. apfroggy0408

apfroggy0408

Jan 21, 2004
    texas
    Help, anyone?

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    As I suggested over in the string forum, I think your issues are set-up involved rather than how you strung your bass (unless you got REALLY creative about stringing).

Your first stop should be to the stickies at the top of this forum. Start with the 'don't understand' sticky first, then go to the "all trussrod and action questions answered here" thread.

These are going to help you understand how to make the different adjustments on your bass, and how to mechanically effect the changes that will help you.

I would start by learning how to check the relief on your neck, and from there, learn how to adjust it. Once you're feeling a bit more comfortable with the mechanics of things, go on to adjust the action and intonation.

Without giving any specific advice I'm going to give you one thing that will help all future set up endevours.

GO SLOWLY. Small adjustments can make BIG changes. Some changes take time to set in. Pay attention to what you're doing and write down any changes you make so that you can go back if you need to. Work on one thing at a time....there are lots of little adjustments in each direction and it can snowball into a mess if you don't do it in an orderly fashion.

If you have any specific set-up related questions once you've read those threads...just ask!