Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ernie Ball SUB pickup in parallel or series?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bazzanderson, May 18, 2004.

1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Ok...I've already contacted EB on this and I know the SUB pickup is wired to the preamp in parallel. I've got a 5er that I'm loving...great tone (a little brittle and clacky hence this post) and really great playability. Now...these SUBs have ALOT of highs and high mids which I'm attibuting to their pickups being wired parallel. I find myself EQing the heck out of the highs and high mids (also boosting the lows) on my amp to tame this beast. I don't like the idea of having to EQ so much....I don't know why, I just don't. My question is would wiring the pickup to the preamp in series be my solution? EB already emailed me back stating that the onboard preamp in the SUB can handle the pickup in series but informed me the mod would likely void my warranty (not too worried about that.) I don't slap or play funk and play mainly fingerstyle rock and punk. Would you do it?
    -Bazz-

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I think series/parallel is a very worthwhile mod to do. However, you can't do it with the stock stingray 4 pickup as it only has one hot and one ground out.

I haven't seen the guts of an SUB, but I'd imagine it's exactly the same. You could put in a replacement pickup - seymour duncan, bartolini etc - which would allow for series/parallel switching/hardwiring.

3. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    RIght. I think the stock 5 string EB pickups have the 4 connector wires plus bare wire...although I'm not sure. I'll have to open my SUB and check it out.

4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ok, sorry, I didn't see the bit at first where you said it was a 5'er.

5. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    No problem. That is true, right? That the MM5 pickups have the 4 connector wires?
    Thx!
    -Bazz-

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've never physically seen a pickup out of a stingray 5, but as the sr5 switching allows series/single/parallel they must have 4 wires for the different coil combinations.

That doesn't mean your SUB 5 has a four wire pickup though, have a look under the hood and let us know.

7. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Will do...
    -b-

8. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    David,
    Took a look under the hood last night and was quite intimidated (probably a good thing) by what I saw. Looked like there was 4 lead wires and no bare but 2 wires were coming out of one route hole connecting to one end of the preamp and 2 wires were coming out of another route hole connecting to the other end of the preamp. Needless to say I did nothing to the wiring.
    I did lower the pickup itself a little bit. That should tame some of the brightness/harshness correct?
    Thanks in advance,
    -Bazz-

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ok, so that's interesting to know.
    So the SUB 5 pickup DOES come with four wires. I'm going to assume that both hot wires were wired to the same spot on the preamp, as were the ground wires. Correct me if this is not accurate.

Your space might be too tight in there to get a DPDT switch in there for series/parallel switching, but you could hardwire it in series and see if you like the sound.

Lowering the pickup will lower the output, and reduce distortion. By itself I don't think it'll reduce any inherent brightness in the SUB.

10. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    "I'm going to assume that both hot wires were wired to the same spot on the preamp, as were the ground wires. Correct me if this is not accurate."

That's what it looked like. I thought about a switch as well but I'm going to see what tones I get tonight at rehearsal now that I lowered the pickup a little bit.

I also removed that butt ugly pickguard and replaced the pickguard screws so the SUB is all flat black except for the hardware and pickguard screws. Definite improvement in the looks dept.

-Bazz-