Ernie Ball SUB StingRay Review???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by truckin88, Feb 14, 2005.

1. truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    I am looking for a review of an active SUB bass, used search can't find anything.
  2. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Price Paid: US $699.00

Purchased from: N/A
    Guitar Center in Fort Myers Florida

Features: 9
    Made in USA
    Poplar body
    21 fret
    34 inch scale
    Fat and smooth black painted neck (possibly maple)
    Musicman bridge
    3+1 Musicman tuners
    Musicman humbucker
    Controls for volume, bass and treble

Sound: 10
    I recently purchased my SUB Bass a few days ago. The interesting thing is that I have read every review listed on this site about this instrument before purchasing it. I have been playing bass for about 16 years and have to say I love this bass. The sound is FAT. I also own a Krammer Spector and a ESP 5 String. The sub bass has a much rounder sound. I am looking forward to recording with this bass.

Action, Fit, & Finish: 9
    The bass was set up almost perfect. A few modifications and it was kicking.

Reliability/Durability: 10
    I believe this bass is the most durable I have ever owned. Very solid instrument.

Customer Support: N/A
    Have not had to deal with them.

Overall Rating: 10
    Overall I am very happy with my purchase. I think this bass will fit very nicely into my collection. I strongly recomend this bass.

Submitted by Joe Kustek at 06/25/2004 03:12

Found this here.
    There might be other active SUB reviews on there, but this is the first one I found on the page.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I got a chance to play the bass, and enjoyed it very much. Was essentially a two-band Stingray with a wacky finish and a painted neck. Pretty obviously made from the ugly wood at the Ernie Ball factory, but sturdy nonetheless.

The feel was excellent, a bit warmer because of the rosewood fingerboard (I'd only played maple necks up until this point) and really liked the growl it gave me. It had a two band preamp, same as in the Stingrays which are boost only, no cut. The bass sounded great.

Now, I would've bought one right there, except I just can't justify paying $700 for a bass when I just got a Stingray WITH CASE, for the same price. Now, for $400 used, I'd pick up a few.
  4. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    EBMM's customer service is second to none. You will hear that from anyone that has ever had any dealings with them. Check out the Ernie Ball Forum and you will see what I mean.