Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ernie Ball SUB X04 (5 string version)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bazzanderson, Apr 28, 2004.

1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I did a search and not much. Just got the go ahead from the wife but I have to sell one of my current basses first.

Any opinions? I played a 4 string version and liked it alot. I've also played an SR5 at GC and loved the playability! I'm assuming the SUB will have the exact same playability. I hope so anyway. Your opinions are appreciated.
    -Bazz-

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    IMO, playability depends on setup, and I've never found two models of the same bass hanging in the same store to be set up identically with the same playability. ANY bass can play great if set up properly and professionally.

That said, the SUB is a fine bass for the money. :)

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I have one of the 4 string SUB - like the one you played! It's been the only bass I've played since I got it (my 2 Spectors have their noses out fo joint....as do my other basses!).

Now I'm actually GASing for a 5 string SUB!!! Why - well, I think they are amazing value for money, but I think the 5 string SUB has 1 up on the 5 string 'Ray - a better shaped pickguard. Personally, I'm not fond of the funny shaped 'gurad on the 5 string 'Ray....but as th SUB 5 has the same shaped 'guard as the 4 string....I'm really keen to get my hands on one! :D

4. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah...I think the black ones scream rock-n-roll. I also like the simplicity of no switches and just a 2 band preamp. The price ain't bad either ;)

5. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have a black one on the way from MF. Should be here next Tuesday. I'm so relieved. I've been gassing for an American 5 string only for about 3 years now and have not been able to afford one. I know it's not an SR5 (my dream bass) but for the price and looks...I couldn't wait for another 2 years trying to save up for the SR5. I can't wait!

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    How much did you pay for your SUB5? I've considered getting one time and time again, but can't justify paying the new price for a bass slightly inferior than what I can get a used Stingray 5 for.

7. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    They price matched basscentral's price of $695.00.

8. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Tomorrow....I can't wait :D

9. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    I was thinking about getting a 4-string one but I HATE not having anywhere to rest my thumb...

Hmmm... is it solid wood behind that pickguard???

10. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Yes it is solid behind the pickguard!

11. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    So it is....

With a couple of wood screws and a thumb rest, and I may have my next work-horse....

12. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I played around with one at GC, and I was very impressed by the low B. It easily rivaled the Smith 5 they have. Sounded great, too. I just wish they had them in the standard finishes-that "truckbed liner" look is real lame.

13. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Hmmm...I'm getting more and more GAS for a SUB 5 stringer.........

Standard fisnishes would be nice - but that's probably where some of the cost saving is - personally I don't mind it! What I do like is the blackened neck and the blackened headstock - think it looks real good! Still think I'd like to change the pickguard to a black pearloid one - but g/f likes the 'kickplate' one......so it stays for now.....

14. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    it was delivered at lunchtime. I went home and opened the box and low and behold MF sent me a WHITE 4 STRINGER! :rolleyes: UGH :bawl: .....well they were good enough to overnight the black 5 stringer to me so I should have it tomorrow. :hyper: Once I have it for a week or two and get to do at least 3 rehearsals with it I'll post a review.
    -Bazz-

15. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    well...I was the only one who showed up to rehearsal last night so I jammed on the new SUB X04 for a couple of hours.
    1st impressions....
    Solidly built but surprisingly light weight. MUCH lighter than my Brice Douglas 5 swamp ash.
    Construction quality typical of the high standards you'd expect from Ernie Ball products.
    B string is nice and tight but did ever so slightly lack a certain "something" tonally when compared to the other strings. I've noticed almost all 34" 5 strings I've played...the B lacked a little bit of tonal definition and volume compared to the EADG. I'm not dissapointed because this is the best souding B string I've owned so far.
    The neck is super playable. Same width as my Brice Douglas 5 but MUCH thinner making it very easy to play. Very fast feeling neck. I don't mind the paint job on the back of the neck...didn't slow me down.
    Tone... With the 2 band preamp it could go from super bright to dub thump. BUT...regardless of the preamp settings it always sounds like a Music Man. Either you like this tone or you don't....I realize it's not for everyone.

I'll do a follow up review once I play it in my band setting.
    -Bazz-

16. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    How does the SUB 5 hold up tonally against the Brice Ash 5? Would you say the two J pickups have more range than the one humbucker on the SUB? And how does the low B compare on either bass. I'm sure the SUB is quite a step up, however at under $300, the Brice is pretty sweet, no?

17. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I definitely say the Brice had more tonal possibilities. I guess it's really down to the user. I've always wanted a Music Man 5er and have always been a "one tone" kind of player...adjusting my tone with right hand placement.
    I can't really say anything bad about the Brice...excellent bass for the money. If you're going to get one I'd seriously look at the swamp ash version. It looks really sharp. The SUB has a much more playable neck but the Brice isn't bad at all...just thicker therefore different. The SUB's pickup and preamp is much hotter (of course) than the Brice.
    Hope this helps,
    -Bazz-

18. Played an SUB 5, loved everything about it. The oval aluminum pickguard, the black neck, industrial looking colors, the playability, the fact that it's made in USA, affordable, and.... that deliciously funky sound. Damn I love that sound. :cool:

19. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I played it for the 1st time last night with my band. It cut through very well and the guys liked it alot. Growly with plenty of lows and punch plus definition. What I said earlier about the B string being a little "different" from the rest...I don't know now. Seems like when I play at band rehearsal volume the B string was just as clear/loud as the others. I've read where people say the SUB has more high mids than a regular stingray. Well...I've never owned a stingray before but I gotta admit I had to cut some of those highs on my amp and the SUB's preamp last night. When we went into a couple of Jam covers I put the highs back in through the SUB's preamp but left the highs on the amp cut and it totally fit the song but any other cover or original...I had to cut the highs on both the amp and SUB's preamp a bit.

It plays really well. Neck is fast. Might not be as pretty as an SR5 or have that 3band preamp but it's affordable (to me), plays great and sounds like a Stingray IMO.

Got a gig on 05/20/04. That will be the real test.
    -Bazz-

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You say it sounds like a Stingray? Does it sound more like a 'Ray 4 than the Stingray 5 does? Does it have the same narrow string spacing as a 'Ray 5?