1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ernie Ball Super Slinky Roundwounds Nickel doesn't work...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by AmazingGracePlayer, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Well, I'm currently using my Ibanez SR500 (With double MK1 pickups) and it has a very warm sound, and I messed around with the bass and amp settings a bit to get closer to Claypool's 4 string Walnut sound. I go to the point that every note sound the same as his UNLESS I strum it. Claypool's strum seems very solid, while mine seemed hollow...
    Is there a kind of string that would allow me to get closer to that Claypool sound?
    Would flatwounds work better than roundwounds? Or steel better than nickel?
    Please help, thanks!

2. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    I thnk the problem is not on the strings.....

I use the earnieballs nickel rounds too and are great stings... but Claypool`s sound doesnt come alone from stings, nor the bass of effects/amp. He has a superb technique, very unique.

So the combination from his teqnique and gear makes him sound as he sounds!

3. But I already learnt (yes, learnt) his techniques... He's strums have a very sharp sound and his regular thump and fingered notes are very mellow and jellyfish-like.

4. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    wow 16 and you alread have claypool's technique down! nice! learn victor wooten next week! :)

5. I'm not trying to be cocky, but Claypool's stuff really isn't hard... just some through-string thumbing and strumming. I'd be happy to send you a few clips of the songs I play on bass =)

6. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

claypool does use blue steels but his technique is the main source of his sound

7. So if I were to use those blue steels (brand name?) and get them all oily and greasy, and turn off my front pick-up, turn up my mids high, turn my treble medium, and keep my bass medium, I could get his sound by using his technique?

8. Jeralya

Jeralya

Sep 7, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    lol this is hilarious... claypool has way more experience and skill than you, and it is HIS sounds- you will only be able to emulate, not get exactly HIS tone

9. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

If you say you already mastered Claypool`s technique.... i think you better switch bass to sound closer to him.... I dont think the strings are a factor here..... unless you compare new Vs old strings, but in that case the brand doesnt matter....

And equalization helps on modifing the sound, no creating sound that its not there..... So its very difficult to coment on EQ without hearing first how you sound....

good luck!

10. Claypool's got more experience I"ll give him that. I don't want to bash him since he is one of my favorite bassists, I'm just saying that what he does on the bass is really not much.

11. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

I dont want to bash you, but actually Claypools lines may seem simple, but they are not.... thats why he sounds like claypool and you dont. Its not in the strings.

Strings, bass, amp, effects, etc only affect the sound you create. The sound comes from your playing.

12. I'm 16 i tried claypool's line from Nature boy (relativly simple i thought) nope wrong, i failed and i am still failing due to the fact i CANNOT play like him. Sure i may be able to play the song and to the casual listener it sounds good. Imo strings will make 'minimal' difference to 'replicate' claypool's sound :)

13. I'm not saying Claypool's lines are simple and I'm not saying I can play everything Claypool can, to tell you the truth, I haven't even heard every single song by Claypool... I've just heard some famous/good ones by Primus, Frog Brigade, Holy Mackeral, etc. I'm just saying that Claypool can only do so much, that those much isn't hard to learn if one is dedicated and talented. I believe that when it comes to modifying the sound, the cheapest way is to change the strings (aside from changing your bass and amp settings). So that's what I'm gonna do :hyper: