Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ERNIE BALL v. AVATAR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by squire_pwr, Jun 16, 2003.

1. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    It must be "Put Avatar to the test" season... :)

Anyway, there are some Ernie Ball 2x12 Audiophile cabs on sale in ebay for $350 each, plus shipping (buy-it-now auction). They also come with a 6" driver and tweeter, which probably helps smooth out its response. Specs below, pic attached (well... attempting to, hope it works).

Now... see if you can compare the Ernie Ball with any similarly priced Avatar setup ($350 +/- $75)? Which would provide the best sound? I know any multi-cab setup would be more versatile and portable, but, base your judgement on sound alone. Do your Avatar best!!! Thanks!!

Ernie Ball 2x12 specs:
    ONE 6" MID DRIVER:
    Sensitivity[1w/1m]:100db
    Voice Coil Diameter:38mm
    Winding material:Aluminum
    Former Material:Glass Fiber
    Magnetic Diameter:4.75"(120mm)

TWO 12" BASS DRIVERS:
    Sensitivity[1w/1m]:96db
    Voice Coil Diameter:3"(76mm) Winding Material:Aluminum
    Former Material:Glass Fiber
    Magnet Diameter:7"(180mm)
    Driver Impedance:16 ohms

ENCLOSURE SPECIFICATIONS:
    Enclosure Impedance:8 ohms
    Crossover Frequency:1.8 khz
    Max Power Handling:600 watts RMS
    Connections:(2)speakon Jacks and (1) 1/4" Phone Jack
    Size:24"(w)x24"(h)x18"(d)
    Weight:95 Lbs

[​IMG]

2. bassic1959

bassic1959

Jan 16, 2003
    That cabinet sure looks nice. I picked up an Avatar 2X12 on ebay last month. $277 + shipping. It is not a bad cabinet but it is tuned pretty high. It definately doesn't like to go low and loud as it is tuned to 50hz. If you try to push it on the E string with serious volume and bass it starts fluttering and forget the B. It sounds very good when you get above the low G. If you are not after boomy bass it would be okay. Do you know the tuning on the Ball. It is kind of heavy, 95# versus 75 for the Avatar. Must be pretty solid.

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    The Avatar price was recently raised to what it is now. The Ernie Ball 2x12 Audiophile cabinet once listed for over $1000. The $350 is a drasticly reduced price.
    The EB MM 2x12s are very well-built, great sounding cabinets. They go low and loud. I wouldn't hesitate; better get one while you can.

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I picked up one of the Ernie Ball 2/12's over six months ago.....it is a very fine [but heavy] cabinet! Sounds great...nice & tight!!!

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I have an Ernie Ball 212 and it has a THUNDEROUS low end. It almost sounds like you are running a sub with it. It was actually almost too much, until I just obtained an Eden 210 XLT to go on top. Balances out nice. Tons of low end, tons of punch. I'd DEFINITELY go with the EB 212 over the Avatar.

6. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Only down-side I see to the MM is the tweeter can't be turned off. Is this true?

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    There is no tweeter. It has a 6 inch mid driver.

8. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    thanks for the feedback guys!! Looks like these are a sweet deal. Unfortunately, my band is on a hiatus for an undetermined amt of time and I'm trying to determine whether a decent sized (ie bigger than practice amp) rig is really worth the money. :meh: I guess it's always better to have the ability to play in a band than to sit around wishing you had the gear to (done plenty of that already).

btw, how hard is it to lift this thing into a trunk? Any of you guys have experience putting this into a Honda/Toyota type trunk?