1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ernie Ball Volume pedal sweep adjustment?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gladowsky, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Gladowsky

Gladowsky

Apr 30, 2007
    Iowa
    I use an Ernie Ball Jr. 25k version for my Sadowsky bass (active) and find that most of the volume adjustment happens in the last 10% of the pedal sweep. I would like to actually use the pedal for volume swells and for decrescendos (fade-outs) in orchestral music. Does anyone have experience with these pedals for that use? Is there a modification to improve the sweep rate? I'd rather not buy another one ($$) if the Jr. can be changed.

I'll get a cramp in my foot if I have to use it as is.
    :help:

Thanks.

2. jimmybc91

jimmybc91

Oct 8, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Have you tried flipping the switch inside of the volume pedal? Did the trick for me..;)

Note that it is not an extreme sweep adjustment.

3. Gladowsky

Gladowsky

Apr 30, 2007
    Iowa
    Thanks but the pedal for active basses (25k) does not have the switch. I emailed Ernie Ball. Here is there reply:

Hello Allen,

Thank you for contacting Ernie Ball.
    The pedal is designed that way. Most of the sweep occurs in the last 15%.

The only pedals that have an adjustable sweep are the 6180 and 6166 for passive electronics.

Kind Regards,

-Ernie Ball Inc.
    Customer Service

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    So, it's badly designed then. Thanks for posting, it's good to know so I can look elsewhere ...

You'd think it should be possible to put another pot in there though.

5. jimmybc91

jimmybc91

Oct 8, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Oh, I was not aware of that. Maybe make the switch for the passive? I would try it out first if thats the kind of sweep you want. I play an active bass through the passive ernie ball volume pedal and I have not had any trouble. Mabye I just don't know what the trouble is..:meh:

6. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    I use the 25k as an expression pedal for my Pitchfactor and it does not operate like this.

7. Gladowsky

Gladowsky

Apr 30, 2007
    Iowa
    Here is another Q&A from Ernie Ball regarding using those using the 250k for active basses:

Question:
    On 10/10/2013 12:58 PM
    Message: I've been told by a few that they use the 250 ohm version of the Ernie Ball volume pedal for their active basses. They have asked why that is not a suitable match over the 6181 25 ohm version. What is the negative impact of using the 250 ohm version on an active instrument? Noise? Tone loss?

Answer:
    Allen,
    It does have to do with impedance. You want to match up the output impedance with the input impedance. For instance... the volume pot on one guitar or bass will be a 25k(active). You could run that into a pedal with a 250k(passive) pot but your control over the volume will happen in a very small portion of the sweep of the pedal. Now if you reverse that idea... and say you run a guitar or bass (which utilize a 250k volume pot) into a 25k pedal, the 25k pedal will load down that pickup and you'll have loss of highs and an overall different tone, much more drastic than going the other way (25k into 250k).

I hope this helps.

Regards
    Ernie Ball Customer Service