1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ernie Ball VP Junior Volume Pedal--> 25k or 250k?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by NickNardone, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Did anyone ever do a review/comparison between these two different models? In theory, the 250k should be better for passive bass, 25k better for active, but what if I A/B between both constantly?

I'm in the market for a volume pedal for a few reasons, and I'd like to know which is best suited for bass.

I'll be using mainly an 18v active Marcus 5er, passive J basses, and passive P bass. Which route should I go?

I was talking with a knowledgeable player last week that my band opened for who was running a 250k (passive) VP Junior with his active Zon 5er. He said it works great for him.

What's the deal!?

2. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I don't know what the deal is either. I never heard of an active volume pedal until a couple weeks ago.

What if you use both active and passive basses on the same gig? What if you sometimes use effects, and sometimes bypass them throughout the show?

I did a forum search a while back and found a few threads on this topic (not very many). Someone mentiond that if you EVER go straight from bass to amp (no electronics or effects in between), you should go with the passive volume pedal (I guess that's the 25k).

There's still a lot of grey area, and I don't think there is much useful information on Ernie Ball's website either.

3. Yeah, that's about what I came up with, which is why I've posted this.

There are loads of users in the Pedal Board threads with VP Juniors. I'm waiting for them to chime in and say which pot version they're using. I think the 25k is probably the way to go for A/B'ing passive and active basses during use.

4. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I had an EBJr for a while but don't know whether it was 250K or 25K...but i will say, it was a tone suck monster (believe it or not)...I was using the tuner out on it...and some people have said thats what was causing the suck.,but I dunno..I think there was actually a link to some guys website where he explained this...

Just saying...

5. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    The 250k pedal will work with passive and active basses, but the 25k will bleed off the high-end of your passive basses.

6. Can you please supply a link to some sort of tone suck review?

One of my knowledgeable gear junkie guitar playing buddies told me the same thing, that the EB volume pedals are known to suck some tone, esp when the tuner out is being used for some reason.

Can someone expand on this and provide a link explaining why?

7. Thank you.

Out of curiosity and wanting to learn more, can you go a bit more in depth explaining why this is?

8. I've got two of the 25K and one of the 250K EBVPJrs. I did a short comparison of the two types last year for TaySte but if necessary I can do a bit more in depth comparison. I've got both active and passive basses so give me a list of any comparisons you want done and I'll see what I can kick out this weekend.

9. Dude, that would be great. Thank you.

I'm most interested in seeing if either one of the pedals suck tone at all when 100% volume is applied (passthrough), and if there is a tone suck, is it even worse when the tuner out jack is used?

Then a comparrison of which resistance pedal works best for passive and 18v active basses. I was told able that the 25k would roll off high end on my passive basses. I use an a/b box before My effects rig, and switch between active and passive basses regularly each gig.

Thanks so much dude, this would be great.

10. I'll rig something up tomorrow then.

11. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX

It took me a while to find it, but here's the link that talks about Volume pedal tone suck when using the tuner out:

http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/articles/tunout.htm

12. OrangeSun

OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    interesting article. I've been practicing through one of these with a tuner hooked up...i'm going to haveto investigate this tommorow

13. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    If you plug a passive bass directly into the volume pedal, it has the same effect as adding another volume knob to your bass. Remember that in passive basses, typically 250k -500k pots are used, with the higher-value pots sucking less treble from your tone. Well if you add a 25k pot to the circuit, that's going to suck a lot of treble.

14. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I'm finding this thread interesting as I've been wanting to get a VP Jr. I'm interested in one more for swells then to use as volume control.

I play an active Warwick and the 25k version is recommended on the EB website for active electronics. Spencer...you mention the the 250k version will work with both active and passive basses. Are there any drawbacks to using that version with actives. I may also find myself in possession of EUB.

I am unsure if the volume pedal will be at the beginning or end of a somewhat short chain of effects. I don't dime the volume on my bass if that means anything.

The 250k versions are easily accessible around town but the 25k version I'd have to source off of the interwebs.

15. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    It worked fine when I owned one.

16. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I've been researching my recently acquired EBVP Jr.

I like it and don't detect any tone loss due to running the tuner out (although I'm going to spend tomorrow evaluating that). I did read the .:tuner out?:. article linked in the other thread. Since I'm running my old OC-2 with batteries as opposed to the power supply I decided it goes first in the chain. The article states that running a buffered bypass in front of the VP will help with tone suckage.

Honestly, I don't have a connoisseur's ear so YMMV. That said It will also take me a chance to use it at rehearsal and stage volumes to agree with the detraction of these pedals. To be frank; it seems like the type of smoke and mirrors that you see with TBP.

I did want to ask if anyone knows what the switch on the PC board is for and if this is a clue as to age (there is a made in Malaysia sticker on it) and if it is the 25k or 250k version.

Lastly; out of curiosity, are there any adjustments or mods that I can make to the VP Jr. Maybe something to give me a bit more of a volume sweep.

17. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    The internal switch is to switch between two types of volume swell. As far as being 250K or 25K, if you purchased it from a store it's probably the 250K. 99% of stores don't carry the 25K in stock, and it has to be special ordered.

I'd be interested to know if a no-load pot would make a difference.

I also found this information, but I'm not sure if this is useful for bass, or if there is an electrical engineering explanation for it.
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=70701
    http://forums.musictoyz.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4066066091/m/4181056164

18. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    does the 25k/250k thing matter if you put the volume pedal after your effects?

19. NoFiller

NoFiller Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2016
    Zombie threat alert

here's the link for all the mods you need for this pedal including a tone suck buffer mod and an expression toggle or foot switch mod. Might need to search the shop as the expression mod page is different than the tone suck mod only page. The expression switch mod page has a drop down selection for the tone suck mod option on it but the expression mod option does not pop up on the tone suck-only mod page. Confused yet? Check it out...

Brand NEW Ernie Ball VP Jr w/Tone Suck Mod | T1M EFFECTS