Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ernie Ball

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Zombi3, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Zombi3

Zombi3

Nov 15, 2005
    Heylo,

Just a bit of background information. I am a Bass Player of 10 months. My first Bass was a Squier P-Bass that I borrowed from a friend until I was able to get my own, which is a Fender Vintage P-Bass '51 reissue. When I bought it, it came with Fender Nickel strings already on it. After about a month of playing, the G string broke and I had to replace them. I went out to the place I got my Bass from and asked them about replacement strings.

I left with a set of Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky strings. I looked up online how to string a Bass, but I had accidentally cut the ends of the cables a bit too short, and I feared that my neck was going to snap if I played on it like it was. But the strings seemed to be comfortable and played really well compaired to the Nickel strings which tore my fingers apart.

Fast Forward three months.

I ordered in some new Strings, Ernie Ball Power Slinky strings, each string .05 gauge higher than the strings I have on there now, except I think the E string is .10 gauge higher. I'm not sure if I want to change strings now, since the strings I bought have been sitting around for two weeks now, doing nothing, and the new strings seem a bit played out.

However, I have a question about the strings. I read online somewhere that when re-stringing a guitar with higher gauges (and Drop Tuning) that it is important to adjust the Truss Rod so that the neck does not snap. Is this the same for a Bass? And if so, is it nessicary to adjust the Truss Rod for my increase in Gauge size?

Thanks for any help on this matter.

2. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    your neck most likly isn;t going to snap the worst that could happen is warping and that will have to be done over time. Just put the strings you don't really half to cut that much off the strings. IF you feel there is a problem it couild be a bass defect or something. I have been for a while and have never adjusted my truss rod and have changed a quite a few times i don't thik its nessesary