1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ernie ball??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by acmmisfit, Apr 22, 2010.

1. acmmisfit

acmmisfit

Apr 22, 2010
    L.A., CA
    ok so i own a Ibanez GSR200 (yea yea cheap bass, but kicks ass!:D) and a Squier P-bass special edition chrome, well anyways i got some ernie ball Super Slinkys for my p-bass and they lost tone in one damn week!!!:spit: ***!! and my friends have sworn that they would never use anything but Slinks, so what do you guys recommend for my p-bass? :)

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    EB bass Strings aren't very good. Try Rotosounds or DRs.

3. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    If you mean they lost the new or piano like ring ...

If brighter is what you seek I recommend trying strings of the stainless variety.

4. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe

Apr 12, 2010
    nothing wrong with ernie ball strings, i've been using hybrid slinkys for years now. they work great for me.

i used to use rotosounds a lot too. i actually have a set of their swing bass 66 medium lights on my kramer 450b right now.

5. duderasta

duderasta

Feb 25, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    never used ernie balls on a bass, but I like the sound of E.B. strings better than anything else on a strat! but they do go dead fast...

I used rotosounds exclusively, but they gave me a set od D'addario Nickel Rounds I put on the Jazz V and I like the tone a lot.

6. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe

Apr 12, 2010
    i put a set of those ernie ball 'anything but slinky' or whatever they're called strings on a guitar recently and it makes it much more enjoyable to play considering i don't really like playing guitar.

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Get you some Blue Steels. I tried them for the first time recently and they are awesome.

8. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    I've used regular slinkies for a long time now. I've always been pleased with them. If you like a string that keeps that new sound longer, I wouldn't recommend them though. I'm not a big fan of the sound of a brand new string so they work really well for me.

9. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Been awhile since I used Ernie Balls, but they lasted about as long as other brands I've liked when I did use them. Theyre initial newbie string zing does perhaps tame a little faster then some strings. But the new tone after that lasts well when Ive had them on basses and guitars alike.Is it possible they got wet from excess sweat or something? Or from fretbaord conditioning stuff, or guitar wax when polishing? I have found these can dull strings sound. Rubbing a clean dry cloth up and down string where wax or whatever got on em, can sometimes help. Discovered this dulling effect from polish by accident a couple times while being sloppy applying wax.

10. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    I have hybrid slinkies on my traben and intend to change them as soon as I get some extra scratch (damn bills). They rattle when using a pick unless you have the bridge set super high and even then the D string will rattle a little.

Finger plucking seems to be fine with them though.