Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ernie Balls on a Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I'm sure some of you have used EB strings on your J bass - would you mind trying to describe your results?

FWIW - I have used Ernie Balls (after trying several others) on both of the basses I've owned so far (and Ibanez EDB605 and an Essex P copy) and I've always been pleased with Ernie Ball strings.

I just bought a Geddy Lee Jazz and I love it. I've been tweeking the set up to get "my sound"and "my feel" dialed in and I'm thinking of trying the Ernie Ball Regular Slinky strings (nickle rounds 50/70/85/105) I already know that I like the feel of EB strings - I'm trying to determine if I will find the sound to be better or worse than the stock strings.

I enjoy: a typical jazz bass tone, growl, warmth, traditional or vintage type sounds, bright snappy slap sound and I am not really a big fan of clicking and clacking.

2. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    I've been using them on my MIA Jazz V for the past 2 years.
    To me, they sound extremely bright on my J - I usually have to roll the tone almost all the way off for the first 3 or 4 weeks. Then they mellow out to a nice round sounding tone. The only thing about EB's that I complain about is their rough feel. IMO they're a little too coarse for roundwound nickels. But for the price, I can deal with the roughness. :cool:

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I use (and love) hybrid slinkys on my Ps but DR high beams on my Js for what its worth. But just try em, they're really cheap so you won't be out much if they don't work out for you.

4. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    I'm a huge Ernie Ball fan, and I use them on all my basses ( but then again, I get them for free now because of a deal between my band and EB)- But before that I tried Elixirs, GHS's, DR's, and Dean Markelys and didn't find anything I liked better than the EB's... and they sound great on Jazzes, I would never even think of using anything else on a Jazz.

5. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I use Super Slinky's on my Jazz. I really like them.

FWIW I use EB strings on everything except my Ovation acoustic / electric guitar.

6. I find they sound quite bright and thin, not as thumpy as most other nickels.

7. I've been using Hybrid Slinkies on my Jazz basses for years. Never had a problem. They feel and sound great. I may switch up soon, though.. I've tried DR Sunbeams and LaBella Hard Rockin' Steels lately and they're both real nice.

8. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    i'm afan of GHS bass boomers (50-115s), but i'm probably gonan try slinkys for the hell of it. the boomers are nice though, they get a nice growl to them with pick or fingerstyle, they have a really defined slap and a not too trebly pop. the only problem is that they beat the **** outa my hands when i first put them on.

9. fenwickbacker

fenwickbacker

Jun 12, 2004
    New Orleans
    I use hybrid slinkys on my j-bass (45, 65, 85, 105). I've been very pleased. Price is right, too.

10. smalltownriots

smalltownriots

Jun 9, 2005
    England
    Hi i use extra slinky bass strings on a jazz bass. i prefer the extra slinkys for the speed you can get on the strings, fun to use especailly on solos. bright of course, you may not get as deep of a sound as the heavier guages.

If you find a place that sells them (you'd be amazed how many places don't) its worth a try.