Ernie Ball's...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ThebassNoob, Apr 30, 2005.

1. ThebassNoob

Sep 15, 2004
    i have a question on the Ernie Ball regulars.. i know they are definately not the best strings out there.. but how would you guys rate them? (i busted a string this weekend, and i am gonna pick up a new set.. so i need to know)

The Bass Noob
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    How do you know they're not the best? Could be that they really are, for some folks. They may not be the best for me (not sure exactly what that is yet), but they've always worked well on my basses.
  3. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I would rate them as crap. I prefer strings that don't break like it's going out of style. Same goes for their guitar strings. Spend the extra couple bucks and get out of bargin bin.
  4. They break real easy for you Eli? I've had a set of Regular Slinkies on for a few months now, had some on for almost a year at one point on one of my basses and they didn't break at all. I use them on my guitar too and they don't break and my guitarist uses em too and he doesn't break them and he plays real agressive too.

I'm going to agree though that they aren't the best strings out there, but they sure rate way above those damn Hartke's.
  5. I've been using Ernie Ball strings for seven years and I've never broken a single one. If you're looking for a good-sounding and feeling string for rock music, they're a solid choice, IMHO. Are there "better" strings? Probably. But, for me, it ain't broken, so I'm not fixin' it..
  6. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    They're not ? I've been playing electric bass since 1980 and using E.B.'s for at least 10 years. I must have bought at least 30 sets.

I have never had a single problem with them.
  7. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I've been using D'Addario XLs (nickel wounds) on my Jazzes but I recently bought a set of EB Hybrid (nickel) Slinkys and I think they may be keepers. Good tone and I like the way they feel.
  8. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Casey and I are in agreement on this issue.
  9. Well, Casey uses the hybrids mainly and they are like a 9 guage guitar string and he plays kinda rough, so that's why he breaks them. The bass strings I have never broken (except for a G because of a burr on my bridge).
  10. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've used hybrid slinkys on my P basses forever ... no engineer or sound man ever complained :cool:

They've got a real edgy, present sound and high tension, which makes them perfect for me on the P, but not on my modern basses.
  11. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Just goes to show you how we see things different ways. I don't consider the EB Hybrids to be edgy; just perhaps more defined that the D'Addario XLs. Then again, I'm after a more vintage tone (F1-X and DB659 preamps) than a modern tone.
  12. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I think the word "edgy" can be defined a few ways ... I in no way mean harsh, I just think they have a lot of bite for a nickel string. XLs sound more polished and polite to me.

With hybrids on my '78, through Ampeg or Alembic pres, I can nail the bass sound from Floyd's "Pigs, 3 different ones" .... what more could a guy ask for? :cool:
  13. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    OK, I'll buy that.
  14. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I prefer snake oil myself.
  15. Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    I think EB strings are some of the best value strings out there. I've never broken one before and have used some for close to a year before trashing them (throwing your strings in the dishwasher does wonders!). I've only broken 2 strings and guess what, they were both DRs...
  16. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I used EB Power Slinkys for a few years because I liked the tone and feel of them. Unfortunately, in that time I broke several (5 or 6) strings.

I still like them but have found strings that feel and sound better and they don't break!
  17. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    my instructor love eb's, not sure which one, but the only strings I have broken are the g-strings in GHS.
  18. Knives

Mar 18, 2005
    Athens, Ga
    I had a set of the heaviest guage of roundwounds EB makes. So i played for about 3 days 2 or three hours each day. I put the bass down to do some reading I had been meaning to do and the g string breaks at the bridge for no reason. I am not experimenting with other brands to find myself a set for the next few years. I will never buy that guage of EB again. Maybe a lighter guage for the lower tension.
  19. I've played nothing but Slinky's on my bass. I've never once broken a bass string. Ever. What are you people doing to your instruments? :confused:
  20. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    No kidding. I'd like to know the same thing. :eyebrow: