Ernie Balls???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Brian Gordon, Sep 6, 2000.

1. Hi!

Give me some opinions on Ernie Ball bass strings. I am now using DR High Beams, but I have the opportunity to work with Ernie Ball and be able to deal with them at artist costs. However, I've never used their strings, so I'm looking for opinions. I'm used to a fairly bright round-wound string. I grew up playing Rotosound Swing Bass and now, the DRs. Can I get anything comparable from EB?

Let me know what you think of 'em.
  2. Hey Brian,
    Last year, my band won a battle of the bands that was sponsored in part by Ernie Ball, and I got 25 free sets of Slinkys. So I've been using 'em for a year and then some. I would give them the thumbs up. I used D'Addario XLs before, and the Ernie Balls, to me, are very comparable. They are very bright and "piano-like" when new. But of the 25 sets I've had, there's been a great variance in their life. Some sets have lasted a month before they really started to lose it, and others have gone dead after one show.
    I'm about to run out of my free strings, and when I have to go back to buying them, I plan to continue using Ernie Balls.
  3. Dave,

I knew your band sounded familiar! :)

Hey Brian, what kind of bass do you play? I use to use DR's religously on my Carvin, but for some reason they didn't sound as good on the Music Man. So I switched to the Ernie Balls and will never go back!

They're WAY cheaper, too.
  4. Oops! I see now, a Zon.

If you can get the EB's at cost, you may as well just pick up a set or 2 and see what you think!