1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ernst Heinrich Roth Bubenreuth Erlangen

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by OString, Jun 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. OString

OString

Jun 29, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    I was recently given an upright bass by a family member. There is a stamp inside that reads Ernst Heinrich Roth Bubenreuth Erlangen. Anyone know much about this bass, its maker, and its worth?

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    More info needed. Straight forward pics of all sides of the bass and of the label. Too many variables.

KUNGfuSHERIFF likes this.
  3. OString

OString

Jun 29, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for the Reply. Here's a few pictures. IMG_0366.JPG IMG_0369.JPG IMG_0371.JPG IMG_0372.JPG IMG_0373.JPG IMG_0374.JPG

4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Looks like a ply bass to me. Is there damage around the back button area? Made for export to the USA as it has a "Made in..." label in English. I just checked out one of these (Pfretschner label) in good shape and it was offered for $900. That is a good deal and these might get up to $2-3k in the right market, but only if it sounds and plays really good. Factory instruments, nothing special except for German quality.

5. misterbadger

misterbadger Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    I'm guessing a hybrid, as the edge of the top table doesn't show laminations and the back appears to be considerably thinner than the top. Veneer chipping on the lower back makes it definitely ply. Assuming that the color variation at the neck heel and button area isn't evidence of a neck repair, it looks pretty nice.

eh_train likes this.
  6. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choiceâ„¢ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I've seen quite a few of these Ernst Heinrich Roth hybrids. There are still many of them in the school systems and most seem to date from the 1960's like the one pictured. They have a sort of semi-flat back and often have a separate tailpiece button and endpin. Eric's appraisal of $2-3K sounds right to me, assuming there are no issues.

E.H. Roth is a family owned company and their instruments were imported into the US by Scherl & Roth, a US firm founded by E.H. Roth's son. These instruments were intended for the student market and the E.H. Roth labelled instruments were their top of the line. I have a carved Ernst Heinrich Roth bass myself and I like it very much. It's from 1960 and has the same tuners and shape as this bass.

There is a Wikipedia article and company website where you can learn more.

- Steve

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    Lee Moses likes this.
  7. OString

OString

Jun 29, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    Thank you all for your time and insightful response. Have a great day!

8. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Owner, Stand Up Guy Basses (Repair/Sell/Buy upright basses)
    I'm with Mr Badger on this one - I think the top edge is definitely much thicker than the back.

OP, I'm not sure if you'll be checking the site again, but having a hybrid (solid top) bass would add at least $1k to the value. It looks like a clean example, without any obvious cracks, and with a nice patina, so if it has a solid top it could easily be worth 3k or $3500.

If you could zoom in on the last pic you posted, we need to see the edge of the top to be sure...

Cheers,

Paul (eh_train)

9. OString

OString

Jun 29, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    The lip where the sides meet the front is around 5/16 inches thick. It is twice as thick as the lip where the sides meet the back. So, I guess it's a hybrid. There is a small chip on the back at the very bottom but everything else is in great shape. One last question for you guys. Anybody want to buy it?

10. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Owner, Stand Up Guy Basses (Repair/Sell/Buy upright basses)
    If you live in Toronto, possibly.

You need to fill out your profile, including your location, before anyone can answer you.

11. OString

OString

Jun 29, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm in Atlanta.