1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

errant noise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scott Lynch, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    I am getting some noise out of my AG500/GS112 setup. Undesirable noise, that is.

First of all, the tweeter has quite a bit of hiss to it, even on a relatively low setting, about 9 0'clock on the level control on the cab. I A/Bed the cab with one of my Carvin loudspeakers. The Carvin has a cleaner high end to it, but a fraction of the hissing sound.

Second, I get an occasional loud and disturbing interference that sounds something like intermittent television static. This doesn't happen when my SWR is plugged into either cab, though the hissing is, again, more prominent with the SWR/GS112 combo than the SWR/PM15.

A couple of questions, which I hope I can procure some of your expert advice on:

What's wrong with the tweeters on the GS112's? For those of you who have used these cabs, do they have a history of having problems?

Is the more prominent, yet sporadic interference a sign of anything in particular?

I am thinking that I should just send the amp into my tech, But I am hoping that there may be a few other things I can try before shelling out a sum of money to (hopefully) get the amp back to working shape.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated, for this problem is frustrating me to no end.

Scott

2. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    Also:

at one point, during testing, the tweeter produced a very high pitched whining sound. I was worried that this was the sound of the tweeter dying, but it still seemed to work after that.