Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Error 10093: WSAStartup not performed

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jazzbo, Jan 20, 2005.

1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    My laptop is using a Linksys wireless card. I had Panda Platinum installed, but deleted it as it was only a trial version, and I was just going to stay with AVG for the time being. Up until this point, I've been using the wireless card for about a year with no problem. After uninstalling Panda Platinum, (and eFax), all of a sudden I started getting that error message for the WLAN monitor. "10093: WSAStartup not performed".

Now, the laptop is operating on Windows 2000. Linksys tech says it's a Windows problem. I googled it, and found lots of references to this error, but the language is largely over my head, (especially trying the Google Groups feature). Google results seem to elude to a Winsock.dll problem, and I've tried a couple of different things to fix this, but nothing seems to be working.

I've tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the TCP/IP Protocol. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Wireless card, but the OS won't let me uninstall. I've got all these Hotfix things in my programs list, that I don't know if I should just uninstall or not. I'm thinking about installing XP, and hoping that this will solve it, but I also want to ask if there's anything I should be aware of when installing an OS onto a laptop. I've never done it before and want to make sure the computer works.

HELP!

Thank you so much in advance for any help.

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Uninstall TCP/IP

Then do Start>Run and type in "regedit" (without quote marks)

Find HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SYSTEM\Current Control Set\Services\Winsock

Highlight "Winsock" in the left column. Delete it.

Then find HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SYSTEM\Current Control Set\Services\Winsock2

Highlight "Winsock2" in the left column. Delete it.

Then reinstall or reenable TCP/IP

Then reboot.

Reinstalling or reenabling TCP/IP will reset the winsock entries.

3. Also, if you do a search, you can find commands you can enter into the Windows Command Prompt (cmd.exe) to reset the Winsock, which is a lot easier than hacking the reg.. Just Google for "Winsock reset commands" or the like.

4. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Although deleting them and then reenableing or reinstalling TCP/IP resets the winsock entries for the given (proper) TCP/IP parameters which may, or may not, have been screwed up, given that they've had multiple configurations.

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Okay, I'm gonna try this.

Can I just say that I love you all...

desperately!

:D

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I swear to god I could kiss you right now. That you SO freaking much!

So, what is the winsock.dll? And why did I have two? And what was that causing to happen?

7. Yeah, but it's sometimes easier to try the simpler solution first before just diving into the registry. I figured I'd mention an easier way just in case it would work, as it has for me in the past.

8. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    You are welcome (you can hold off on the kiss however) :)

dll's are "driver list library" files and it's what Windows uses to communicate with the hardware on your computer.

You can't have two files of the same name, in the same directory. If you install networking hardware (i.e. - Network cards, etc.), specifically wireless cards, the install utilities sometimes place those drivers in a different directory other than where Windows puts them, thus you can have two in different directories.

Windows uses the ones it places in the system folder, whereas the software for your NIC (network interface card) might install it's own drivers, and call those dll's from it's own directory.

When you install, uninstall, delete, or keep adding and removing certain features associated with that NIC, you screw up how Windows uses those files (or the software screws it up for you).

Windows XP for example will load it's own drivers for most wireless NICs and it will use it's own built in networking utilities to get you connected. However, some wireless NIC's come with their own software that conflicts with how Windows wants to use that card and that's where some problems come in.

Spyware is a big contributor to corrupting winsock entries in the registry, because some spyware will attempt to hijack your web browser and use it to download more spyware. Many times (with broadband connections) you can be on the internet even though your web browser will not open your home page. This usually indicates a hijack attempt via winsock corruption.

I probably deal with about two or three winsock related errors a week, especially with spyware being so prevalent. "Ad Aware" (free download) is probably the best protection for home users.