ERuption on bass recording?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by The_Ryst, May 31, 2005.

1. I want to hear it done on bass to serve as an example of what I need to do.
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Listen to any Billy Sheehan solo. It's pretty much eruption.
  3. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    You're gonna want some good distortion and practice speed tapping. I can't locate a good video/sample of it that would actually help you. You can always go to Powertabs and just transpose it to Bass. Probably not what you're going for.

I do agree that Billy Sheehan does Eruption in his sleep...and every solo he does. If you practice Billy Sheehan stuff, you can make your own solos that will be much more creative and impressive than Eruption.

4. I can do a lot of speed tapping already, but I just wanted to learn this one becuse it's relatively well known and I wanted to let guitarists know taht what they're doing is nothing impressive.

I have the PDF of it now from a guy who teaches it to his bass students, so I'm good. I dont' have an actual recording, but that's cool.

Thanks man.
  5. That's great'd you learn the beginning? I only have the tab/sheet for thel ast part.
  6. I remember seeing a site on the net with Eruption done on bass, I can't remember it right off hand, but if i find it I'll let you know for sure!

7. The beginning of my recording was just some mindless improv stuff I did to start it off. And the tapping part from eruption I just learned by ear. It's not all the complicated really.
  8. Yeah, I have the tapping part down's a very good recording man. Good job.
  9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Good work Lokire.

Hey The_Ryst, are you going to play it clean or distorted? Post it if you can.
  10. Clean since I don't have a distortion pedal, lol.
  11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    cool, well post it later when you have it worked out.
  12. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

IMO, the problem with "Eruption" is that every guitarist started to copy Eddie's style and lots of 80's shredders based their most impressive stuff in the tapping technique until the style became nauseous, but the worst part is that many of them used it for hiding their lack of speed picking proficiency. But back in 1978 everything was different. I was eleven and I remember when I saw the first VH LP in the stores. I didn't know anything about them, but I decided to give the record a listening at the store because the band's logo was attractive to me. Besides, the first person listed in the back cover on the acknowledgments' list was GENE SIMMONS, and I was a HUGE Kiss fan at the time. The band sounded cool to me, so I bought the record with the money that my parents gave for eating at school after a week of saving it. When I got home, I gave the LP a closer listening and "Eruption" shocked me. I didn't know anything about music at the time, but I had listened plenty of rock guitarists (I remember hearing lots of times among my classmates that "Ted Nugent was declared the best guitarist in the world") and "Eruption" was something definitely new to my ears.

Another problem is: If a guitar player wants to play the final tapping part of "Eruption", put it in context! Make it flow! I highly criticized my band's guitarist after an exhaustive tour of... 2 concerts :meh: at the university last year because he wanted to play a solo and he did Joe Satriani's "Midnight". After playing the piece, he made his guitar "scream" and played the Eruption part. Give me a break! It doesn't work like that.

Anyway, I studied that part on bass and wanted to show it to my students, not because the "impressive qualities" of the piece or something like that. I wanted to do it because it's a great exercise on stamina! I will never forget that nasty blood blister I got in my right middle fingertip because of that. And playing this stuff fast is a very physical thing. Your best friend for getting this thing right: YOUR METRONOME.

BTW, here are two sloppy takes of the part (one slower than the other) just recorded with my new EBMM Bongo (it's 4:54 A.M. What a fever!). Enjoy!

P.S.: I notice that the whole "fight" about Eruption was deleted. Please take into account that it's not my intention to relive it. Just wanted to share my thoughts on the subject.
  13. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Your post is worlds apart from the crap that made up the fight, no worries.