Erykah Badu: Worldwide Underground

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by heath_the_great, May 4, 2004.

1. Well, as if she doesn't have the greatest Voice ever!
    only really starting to get into Rnb/Hip Hop this is the seccond album ive bought ( A tribe called quest - The Love Movement, which is also really good ), After downloading many of her songs, and i gotta say i was totally blown away, Live bass, Drum Machine and Live Keyboards with lenny kravitz appearing on one of the songs, this is a must have album IMO, im on the lookout for any other of her albums...

Not to mention shes bloody hot :p , but after seeing her in Blues Brothers 2000 and the film clip to on and on, im purely addicted now
  2. ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Is Hubert Eaves IV still on bass? If you want to hear him grooving all over the place on 5-string, check out her live CD from a few years back..I love it. The bass in way up front in the mix! :bassist:
  3. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I remember hearing parts of the live album. I remember there was this one tune that had the bass doing a really funky walking line. It was awesome.
  4. Ive heard one song off that album i think "tyrone" where she starts off by saying "remember im an artist and im sensative about my ****"

but the bassist on this album is braylon "brother b" lacy except for the song love of my life (an ode to hip hop) the bassist for that song is raphael saadiq, im trying to figure out some songs off the album atm and ill post some tabs when i do, cos theres no erykah badu tabs up on here....arg!
  5. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    erykah is the bomb - if you like her stuff, check out some Meshell and Jill Scott as well.

do you want to really see some Erykah groove??? watch some Chappelle Show reruns - she and her band cooked! and yes.....she's so dam sexy!
  6. yeah, i really like meshell ndegeochello as well, but the ultimate crappy thing about being in australia is the lack of music that i like, this is the only erykah badu album ive found and the only meshell album ive found/got is peace beyond passion, id love to have a jam/chat with those two :eek: that'd be my expression.....

But i didn't no badu was on chappelles show :bawl: , i missed it, i didn't miss "i wanna pee on you" though i even downloaded, but i downloaded the film clip to love of my life/ode to hip hop...i love that
  7. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Also worthwhile is her Mama's Gun album. Jawdroppingly good.
  8. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    yup, pino plays on a few tunes - he's great!
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    On the second to last track...'love my life worldwide' , Bahamadia is featured, she is a very talented female rapper with a voice and flow that is simply mesmerizing. Just fyi, you might want to check her out.
  10. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i second this. mama's gun is my favorite of all her cd's. the live drums just make the album kill.
  11. mishi_ono

May 7, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    she has done tunes w. roy hargrove. ?uestlove, stephen marley, and jack dejohnette too.

the woman has an amazing voice, and cot dam she is fine!
  12. mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    She is truly an amazing artist. And believe me, she is a nicer person! I was seriously amazed at how down to earth she is. And so easy to talk to. Here is me, my sister and her friend with Erykah and her assistant. :hyper:

That was one beautiful experience! I told her i was a bassist. And she replied i "looked" like one :) haha, probably the best compliment i have gotten as a bassist!
  13. SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    just to say that i'm in love with Erykah for last 6 years though i've never seen her :(
    at this moment i'm listening to Erykah with Roy Hargrove...

but Live is definitly GREAT!!! And Hubert Eaves IV / Poogie Bell combo sounds dangerously groovy!
    But pay some atention to a nearly perfect bass line Braylon Lacy playes on Orange Moon (Mama's Gun).

Oh, I've been playing some songs from Live CD, but I would be very thankful if somebody could tell me how to get some reliable bass tabs