1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Erykah Badu's new record

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by csala, Mar 2, 2008.

1. csala

csala

Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca
    Anyone have it? It's certainly a progression from her last record. Very cool, though it requires close listening. For me at this point it's not quite a "take it in the car and bump it" record. At some point I expect it to be.

With that said, the bassline on The Cell is incredible. Check it out if you can.

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    bump

great artist!

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I have it. Not quite what I expected. She's kinda out there music wise these days. I guess I was expecting something in the vein of her 'live' record from a few years back. Not even close! It may grow on me but I doubt it. I'll stick to my funk and soul!

4. i wanna pick it up, i've been reading reviews saying it's the most hip-hop of all her albums, which is a bummer, i really love her laid back r&b grooves.

i'll report back when i get it.

5. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Dont give up yet DW, it's a three-parter. I think the first ablum is perposely like that and there's two more coming out this year. The second will be much like the Eryka we know and love and the third is rumored to be all hip-hop, sounds good to me.:)

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Ok. I just hope she doesn't bankrupt herself putting these out if the selling numbers aren't there!

7. csala

csala

Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca
    She's one of those artists that I feel needs the opportunity to change it up a bit. She's that talented. Her second record, Mama's Gun, is quite different than her first record which captured her fan base. People were a bit taken back with Mama's Gun, but it's arguably her best record and one of the best soul, not neo soul, records in a long time.

Oh and DW, since you mentioned her live record, how about those basslines? Man!

8. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    I got it and am really enjoying it,it seems to be the rare cd thats put together as a album as opposed to a bunch of singles. I got it on Itunes so I don't know who did the live bass stuff on there,I assume it's the same guy she's been using live the last few years

9. +1
    i always hear mention of the live album, but i think mama's gun is by far her strongest work yet and is just absolutely nasty all the way through.

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

You really think so? Man, let me tell you, there are a ton of really really good neo-soul artists out there that for some reason cannot get the time of day who I feel are way more talented than Erykah Badu and deserve the same opportunities to be heard! That's not to say she's not talented. I have an external HD full of neo-soul, new soul and new adult r&b artists that smoke anything played on the radio! I just expected more from her. In her defense, I'm not in her demographic but I do know music.

11. csala

csala

Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca
    DW, I'm always interested in hearing talented new soul artists. Do you have any links so I can check them out on the web? Preferably some good bass playing also.

I did some research on who played pass on The Cell, which is my favorite track at this point. The bassist's name is Steve Bruner. The guy's like 23 years old and is killing it!

12. check out his brother on drums

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'll fire up my HD's this evening and get back to you. Seriously, there's a lot of killin' stuff out there! Here's just a sampling of names to get you started. I will have more this evening. There's also tons of it on http://cdbaby.com/top/609?skip=10.

Seven
    Maya Azucena
    Greentara
    Electro Deluxe
    Kelli Sae
    Liv Warfield
    Angela Johnson
    Conya Doss
    PJ Morton
    Estelle
    Julie Dexter
    Laurnea
    N'Dambi
    Gaelle
    Yahzarah
    Donnie
    Leela James
    Trina Broussard
    Hil St. Soul
    Rhian Benson
    Kindred the Family Soul
    Res
    Sy Smith
    Elisabeth Withers
    Ledisi

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Alright, here's some more names.

Ali
    Amos Lee
    Angel Grant
    Avani
    Aya
    Beverlei Brown
    Beverley Knight
    Bilal
    Brown Baby Girl
    Curtis E. Allen
    Davina
    Dawn Angelique
    Devin
    Ebony Alleyne
    Gabrielle
    Joi
    Keisha White
    Keith Martin
    Lizz Fields
    Maysa
    Taral Hicks
    Ursula Rucker

And many more.

15. csala

csala

Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca
    Thanks DW! I'm going to look into these bands. I'm aware of some of them. You mentioned Res, who I think is fantastic. As a matter of fact I'll be seeing her perform in a couple of weeks out here. Good stuff!