Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Escapology - What bass?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by TRU, Jan 10, 2003.

1. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I'm digging the bass sound on the newest Robbie Williams album. Does anyone know what bass is used? I'm thinking it might be precision... could be jazz also. Any thoughts?

2. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    The bass player is Phil Spalding if that helps at all. Google didn't find a lot about him. The guy seems to have quite a nice resume, he has played with Mike Oldfield and such.

There is also one track on the Escapology where Lee Sklar is on bass, Steve Ferrone on drums and Eric Marienthal on sax.

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I've got the album - it's good don't you think?

I'm not really good with associating bass sounds to basses though, so I couldn't tell ya what bass it is.

4. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Yeah, I like it. I never thought I'd like a top 10 album and this is even a number one! It'd be great to see him live.

5. Phil Spalding

Phil Spalding

Nov 11, 2014
    HollySam Ltd, Peavey Electronics, Trace Elliot, The Bass Centre, Liver4Life
    Hi there … just joined .. better late than never !! The bass guitar used on Escapology was a hybrid. A 1964 Fender Precision body and electrics with a seventies maple neck. This was the only bass guitar I played on this album .. recorded at Conway and Record Plant, Los Angeles and AIR Hampstead, London 2002 …
    PS

JimmyThunder likes this.
  6. Welcome to TalkBass, Phil! Great to have you here! Have fun! :)