Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ESCROW accounts set up for fraud on EBAY - TV in the UK Last night?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Did anybody else in the UK see the "Watchdog" programme on BBCTV last night? I caught the the end of an item where they were talking about people losing loads of money on Ebay due to fraudulent ESCROW(sp?) accounts.

They had a police inspector from Manchester who said he had hundreds of fraud cases just in his area of the country and that Ebay wouldn't talk to him or answer his questions/enquiries.

So how does this work - and does this mean to avoid this method of payment at all costs?

2. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    I ran into this once a couple of monthes ago.
    My first tipoff was the price was too good to be true.
    The seller would only use this one certain escrow service.
    The seller had no feedback.
    Their Escrow web site that they wanted me to use did not have much information at all.
    I found out they copied a legit escrow services web site and changed the name of the company to some fake name.
    After I emailed the seller that I would only use www.escrow.com (a legit escrow servive) and I never heard from him again.
    I then emailed everyone that won an auction from this seller and told them about the scam.

This was a big help.
    I went to Ebay community forums for Escrow & Insurance
    http://forums.ebay.com/dws?14@1036069643285@.ee7b9c4
    There is a guy there named fenton.smith that keeps a list of the fraud sites.

3. Yeah, I saw it as well. I think the bottom line is, if the crooks want your money they'll get it no matter what, online or any other way they can think of.:mad:
    Although the MD from Ebay they had on wasn't exactly inspiring confidence, she just spouted the party line and laughed nervously.
    I'm surprised the coppers couldn't get Ebays phone number...it didn't take Watchdog too long to find it.
    ;)

4. Bruce Lindfield

So it's only certain "escrow" sites - very confusing!
    I think the case they highlighted was about a guy who thought he had got a great deal for a Bose Hi-Fi system - so he paid £1500 ($2250) for system that retailed at well over £4,000, (I think) - but of course he lost all his money and has no hope of getting it back! :(

So there was mention that the same account had managed to de-fraud £50,000 (c. $75,000) from eBay buyers.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Yeah - that was my overwhelming impression - it was like they don't really have an answer to fraud and would rather not think about it!

We have all these satisfied customers - yeah but what are you doing about these fraud cases - well we have all these satisfied customers.... :rolleyes:

6. Bruce Lindfield

Maybe this should go in a FAQ somewhere - about buying basses? - to help people avoid fraud on EBay?

7. Bruce Lindfield