Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ESH - REALLY GREAT

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joiner, Dec 8, 2000.

1. Joiner

Joiner

Oct 12, 2000
    I got my first ESH-Bass today.
    A Notorious II 5 String with a AAAAA grade quilted Maple Top, Maple Fingerboard and two EMG 40 DC Humbuckers.
    I enjoy it ! It`s really as good as my Sadowsky Std. Four String !
    The Finish (Three Tone Burst) looks absolutely great, and, the bass has the best Fretwork I´ve ever seen. And it does cost only a third of a Sadowsky over here in Germany.
    I got my Sadowsky used for 2500 (German Marks - about 1200 Dollars) and I paid the same price for the ESH. It`s absolutely great. Try them out...

webpages:
    http://www.esh-basses.com
    http://www.eshusa.com

2. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I cant find any dealers north of Boston that carry Esh basses. I'd love to check one out.

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    What's the difference between a Notorious I and II? :confused:
    I only saw the 'I' on the (German) site: J & M/M pups, 3+1 tuners.
    The "Stinger" looks good too. Did you get a chance to try one?
    A fretless one, maybe? :D

brewer9: From the USA site, it looks like the closest dealer is...

Bob Bromberg
    Bob Bromberg Sales,
    20 Ronald Drive
    Monsey NY 10952
    Phone 914-352-4325

...I know that ain't near Boston :( . Forgive my lack of a sense of scale (I'm in Texas :cool: ).

4. Wow, that's a lot of A's, I'll be looking into them.

Herm

5. Joiner

Joiner

Oct 12, 2000
    Yeah, there is a slight difference between the I and II.

As you can see on the esh-basses.com page, the Notorious I looks a bit like a Musicman. The II looks more like a Fender Jazz, or to be exact, like a Sadowsky, but as a different headstock.

I tried a Stinger, but it had frets. It`s my number one choice for a four string. But all the esh-basses are greeat.
    Just take a look at the Notorious II on http://www.eshusa.com looks so sweet. And that one doesn`t have a quilted Top.

Two great points:

1.) You can have it all ! Custom Graphic Finishes,Custom Pickups (the Notorious II 5-String I ordered has 2 EMG 40 DC humbuckers), pickguards, or whatever. They can even make you a 24 or 22 or 21 Fret Fingerboard, whatever you desire! And did you notice the SimS-Leds ? Thats great, too ! (I know, Alembic does that, too !) - But you can also send a guitar / bass you have, and they´ll place you the LEDs in it. Greaaat

2.) ESH is a 10-Man Team. Manufacturing time for a Custom Bass is just 6 Weeks ! You heard it right - not 6 Months - 6 WEEKS !!!!

Try ESH.

David

6. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  7. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
  8. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Oh my gawd!!! Thaacid dipped bass is beautiful!! I have to find one somewhere. How much cash does something like THAT cost?

9. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    The "Stinger" model like that acid dipped black one retails for $1,499.99 but the acid dipped finish is a $175 upcharge I believe.

I may look into becoming a dealer up here in Northern CA but I already carry Lull's and Laklands so I don't want to carry too many lines but I think that these Esh basses are a heck of a deal at the current pricing and are in a slightly lower price range than the Lull's and way less than Laklands so I really don't see where there'd be much of a conflict.

These basses rock!

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    There were a couple of ESHs at Manny's last year. I tried the floor model, a Notorious with an alder body. While I liked the versatility of the electronics, (as everyone is fond of pointing out, they're made by a subsidiary of Mercedes Benz), I thought the overal fit and finish were lacking. The neck pocket and pickup routs were rather sloppily cut, and the body joints were visible through the thin satin finish. The fretwork was also pretty sloppy; lots of visible file marks. I'm not sure if this instrument is indicative of ESH's QC, or if the salespeople at Manny's just took the lemon of the bunch out for idiots like me to beat on. The one in the glass display case looked a little better, but I obviously couldn't try it out.

11. DownCaster

DownCaster

Aug 22, 2000
    does the stinger's body shape remind anyone else of an ibanez iceman?

p.s. the esh line looks really good. if i had some $ i would definitly look into an esh bass

12. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Do these basses have a distinctive sound? Can anyone describe it?

13. Joiner

Joiner

Oct 12, 2000
    Some Things:

Difference between Notorious I and II:
    The I`s Body Shape is more like a Music Man, while the II is more like a Sadowsky or a Fender Jazz.

Overall Tone:
    It depends on what you want. For example, my Notorious II has two EMG 40 DC Soapbars. It sounds very round and warm, especially, when I connect it through my Sadowsky Preamp.
    But you can have every pickup configuration you want. ESH just has to order them. You can even have Sadowsky Singlecoils in it, if you want...

Real Gothic:
    Yeah, looks really kewl.

Rock it, and play esh !

David