Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eshembaugh 33" scale at www.thelowend.net

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diego, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Hello fellow TBers,

Has anyone some info on the Eshenbaugh at The Low End (used basses)? It looks quite nice, but I've never played an Eshembaugh. I understand they are a bit "rare" find, so I was wondering if anyone has stumbled upon/owned this instrument. Thanks.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I very much considered buying it a little while back (before I got my current four-string singlecut). The one thing that deterred me was the initial post by the original owner, Portraitoftracy:
    Eshenbaugh 5 review (the singlecut with ramp)

Sorry it has took me a while to let you guys know how the bass turned out. After waiting nearly a year for my bass the news is not good. The electronics on my bass definitely had problems. They were so noisy it wasn't even enjoyable to play. More importantly the neck had no relief in it whatsoever, I mean nothing. I went to adjust the truss rod and it turned out to be a one way truss rod so I couldn't add relief. That sucked. There was a horrible dead spot in the neck that caused my 12th fret c string to have no sustain at all. The finish was not that great. All that being said, the bass is freaking beautiful. The craftmanship is amazing. I had to pay to send the bass back to Mark and it has been a week now and havent heard back from him in regards to the progress in fixing my bass, sucks. I don't know how much longer I will have to wait for my problems to be fixed and then wait for a week in shipping. Really frustrated at this point. Really hoping it comes back and doesn't have any issues because I don't have much more patience after waiting forever. Sorry I dont have better news for those out there waiting for their Eshenbaugh. Peace out

That was his last post on TB- he never posted an update on if the bass was significantly improved when returned to Eshenbaugh.

3. If I could, I'd get it! The Low End has it listed as B-G, but Mark said it was made for E-C (duh, it's 33" :p ). I really want a fretless E-C; I want to buy it and would have Mark re-board it.

Diego -

If you're interested in Mark's work (I truly love my bass - it's my voice), shoot me a PM.

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Didn't play it, but it looks amazing in person. Pics don't do justice.

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I was told that because the action isn't able to be adjusted correctly action was way too high with it tuned E-C. That's why it's now tuned B-G. Not good.

6. It was the opposite. The action was too low for the owner's liking (he was using light gague strings) and could not be raised because there wasn't enough tension on the neck. That may not, however be Brian's experience.

I just know that, from speaking with Mark a couple weeks ago, that bass was meant to be strung E-C and he wasn't surprised by the less than stellar comments on the B string.

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ah, you may be right.

However, shouldn't the owner had been able to use any gauge string he preferred and the bass been able to have be adjusted accordingly?

8. That is a strange situation... can someone who has played it chime in? I'm interested in hearing what's the deal, it looks like a killer Esh.

9. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I've played the bass numerous times so maybe I can five you some insight...

In the looks department it's top notch. The flamed maple is beautiful and perfect. The body is slim and classy and the ramp is a really cool ida.

Sadly, this is the end of the pros on this bass. The bass is hardly playable beyond the 5th or so fret. It has a horrible back bow that cannot be corrected due to the single action truss rod (***?). Then once you get past the 12th fret the action is so high it's a joke.

The single action truss rod cannot be removed from it's channel so the chance of fixing the action is impossible without removing the entire fretboard. The playing ramp is also crooked and cannot be adjusted.

I must say that overall I was highly dissapointed in the bass....

10. Jeez!

Do you think the problems were prevalent before the bass left Esh's hands? Those sound nightmarish. I wonder why it's still on the market even with those glaring issues...

11. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    OK fellow TBers, thanks for your kind insight so far. I was considering trading my Pedulla thunderbolt 4 string plus some cash on that Eshenbaugh, but given the "playability" and set-up issues on it I'd better stay away (even though at that price it looks tempting).

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well, if you don't mind buying it and then paying to have the fingerboard removed and a new one put on than I'm sure it'd be great....:eyebrow:

13. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Thank you for your kind advice, but as much as I like it, I'd rather stay away form an insrtument with inherent structural issues ( as it apperas to be the case, don't know what is the exact deal with this bass since I have not seen it in person or played it).

14. Just for clarity, Eshenbaugh and Esh are two separate builders.

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sorry Diego, it was actually a lame attempt at sarcasm.

16. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Emjazz.-

Sorry man! I didn't got it! (Yeah, I actually feel kind of bad!:( )...

17. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics

From what I've read from the previous owner, yes it was that way from Mr. Eshenbaugh.

I'll send this to Brian and see what he has to say. He know much more about it than I do.

18. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I just checked into this thing. It is going to need some rehab...it might not need to have the fingerboard and truss rod removed, as the neck was fretted under tension and might just be dead straight. However, the bridge is going to need countersinking. It looks like the seller has lowered the price to $1500, which might justify the rehab expenses.

19. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hey Will, my concern would always be that it has a one way truss rod. Unless someone lives in a climate that is always the same all year you'd have a lot of issues I'm sure.

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I have played several Basses made by Mark Eshenbaugh and each one I played was flawless and the craftsmanship was beyond top notch(and I am not exaggerating at all)the ones that I've played felt great,sounded great and in solo mode they were awesome.I personally think and feel that Mark E. makes a Bass that's up there with the best and very close to the more established names.this is the first time I have ever heard anything like this in regards to an Eshenbaugh Bass(and I'm shocked).I find it very hard to believe that Mark would let a Bass get out of his shop with so many issues as this Bass has been described as having.talented Luthiers have so much going on in their minds with concern,perfection and being sensitive to the possibility of having their instrument accepted by players,listeners and dealers that I find it hard to believe that a Luthier would want to hear or read such comments as in regards to the description of the one Bass in this thread has received.this is the kind of thing that can do what it seem to have done to a talented luthier and that is turn potential buyers away and not allow the luthier to address this issue(if he/she chose to do so).I can speak for Mark when I say this"I don't think that was Mark's intention(s)at all".have any one ever heard any thing like this about any other Eshenbaugh Bass?