1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eshembaugh 33" scale at www.thelowend.net

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diego, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Actually, out of the 4 Eshenbaugh's I know of...3 have/had serious problems and one just never got finished. I don't have anything against Mark and hope all is well, this is just what I know. I don't have any dog in this fight at all.

Andy, I agree...it's hard to tell what the neck is going to do.

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    This is news to me

and again this is what I got from the Eshenbaugh's that I have played and I am not at all looking for a fight.

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I'm not either! And I don't profess to be experienced with many of Mark's basses. I can tell you that the single cut we're talking about is STUNNING in person. It is absolutely breathtaking. I believe it is worth saving, because it is really special. The *woodworking* is perfect and top notch. It is the most impressive looking bass I've ever seen, and I've seen a few.

4. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I've never played one, but there have been a few complaints here on TB. Some complaints about workmanship, others about timing. I'm not going to take the time to do a search, but I think a few are covered in an Eshenbaugh thread started by .mew.

IMO, there are so many great builders that care about customer satisfaction and don't have stories floating around...I'd rather play it safe and go with one of them when I get my customs built. Just my opinion, and again, I've never played one.

Marshall

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I'm only basing my comments off of my experience with the Eshenbaugh's that I've played.the horror stories that I'm hearing now is news to me.

6. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I talked to Brian yesterday about the bass and he doesn't really want to enter the thread considering his commercial status and some people that always like to start a fight. Here's some of the info I picked up from our conversation. Atlanta Bass Gallery had one or two that went back and forth a few times with neck issues. Also, a friend of Marks called Brian to get some strings for one of his Eshenbaughs. The friend of Marks is also having a front bow problem that will no fix itself. Its seems the guy is having to have someone else work on trying to fix it, for whatever reason Mark isn't fixing it for whatever reason.

It's a dissapointing situation for the bass. It's one of the most visually stunning basses I've seen in a long time, but for the lack of customer service and the apparent issues.

7. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Bryan, TX
    I had one...a 4 string set neck. BEAUTIFUL bass, didn't like the preamp, and when I recieved the bass, it had a pretty severe backbow, even with string tension on it. I was pi**ed, to say the least. I had to bring it to Carey Nordstrand, where he spent an entire afternoon defretting it, planing A TON of relief into the board, refretting, leveling, crowning, etc, and after he did his miracle work (300 bucks plus later), there was the proper amount of relief in the neck, with just a kiss of tension on the rod.

I ended up trading the bass....after the work was done, I did really like it, but in the end, I made the right decision...

There is a trend here, no? I don't know if the neck woods used aren't properly dried? That's my best guess. Mark is a terrific guy, and I really love his designs. I'll get another at some point once I've seen a history of stable necks coming out of the shop.

Dat's the troof...sho 'nuff!

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!

+1! This bass is a white tiger as far as I'm concerned. Rare. I believe that this bass has issues, but this is not indicative of Mark's work. At the same time, I realize that alot of people here already know that, so I'm not slamming any of the posters.

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Whats up Woodchuck,you're not playing the Warwicks anymore?

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Nah, my back isn't as young as it used to be!!! Sadowskys were the only basses where I could get lightweight AND balls at the the same time!

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

I feel you

Just keep breakin off the groove

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    As long as I can keep stealing from you, I'll be fine! How's the record doing? Btw, I told this one guy I knew you, and called me a "f**king liar"!

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Thanks for the kind words but I'm still learning.The CD is doing fine(I'm really proud of it).I will be releasing The Trio recording I did with Kudzai Kasambira and Bernard Purdie some time this year.and as far as the guy being a non believer that's on him :)

I ordered a USA Lakland the other day from Dan,now the waiting game begins.

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    The trio? PLEASE do a post when you do, and I'll happily buy one!!!

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

Please don't,I owe you a copy of The Low C# Theory but everytime I get more copies they go out because of orders I have to keep.

so I feel bad for not getting it to you and I am a man of my word and therefore I owe you big time.

16. jordanm

jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I've only played one Esh, and it was one of the ones at the ABG. The build quality looked decent, but there was some chipping in the laminants of the bass. Also the strings were VERY wobbly and it was difficult to play. This could have been for a number of reasons, but I couldn't couldn't get a sound I liked out of it either. Took me all of 30 seconds to figure out I didn't like it and moved on, so I'm not sure what hte problem was with it. Again just my experience and this is only with one instrument!

17. I played this bass in January. It is beautiful. Needs some help. So, I decided to take on the project. I'll keep you all posted. This bass will smoke when I'm done with it, whether I play it until it smokes or just throw it in the fire.

18. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Congrat man. It's going to be a great project if you can get it up and running.

19. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    What Beav said in post #9.

I didn't get time with it when I was in Brian's shop at the GTG, but from what I was told... it needed more TLC than I had time for and I WAS interested in it at first.

The other Eshenbaughs that I have played at Atlanta Bass Gallery and at GC-ATL (when Rob Geisler was the Bass Pro there) were great, but the neck profiles weren't me at all. Rob has a knack for making any bass come alive!

... It really broke my heart that there was so much wrong with it, especially when I was really interested in it. :bawl:

20. I have been asked over and over again to enter the discussion on a thread concerning this bass, so here I am. The first thing I will say is this: at some point after I finished the instrument, some drastic changes were made to it by another luthier. After these changes, I cannot speak for the instrument, because it has not been back in my hands since. As far as I know, Brian's knowledge of the instrument comes after these changes, so his comments and other associated comments from people who have played the instrument since that time are not, IMHO, reflections on my work but on the extreme 'repairs' done to the instrument. The only players who played the instrument the way I sent it out were the original purchaser and the luthier who made the repairs. All commentary concerning playability should be cornered squarely in the direction of the work done after it left my shop. I have since building this bass switched to a dual-action truss rod, not because of this incident, but because people find a certain security knowing that their neck goes both ways. There is alot more to that discussion, and for now it is between me and Carl Thompson, so I wont go into it just yet. Suffice it to say that this issue, which began with a slight backbow is for now a dead issue, because someone else is now responsible for how the bass plays. As a sidenote, somewhere it is said that I put korean pickups in this bass. Not True. The pickups in question are in fact American Kent Armstrong Pickups (4 of them) wound by Kent Armstrong himself in his front bedroom workshop. 4 single coil alnico Jazz pickups were bonded and wired as 2 humbuckers because I couldn't get the soapbars to fit according to the customers specs. I made work very well that which I had to work with. After consulting further with Kent, I have found no fault with what I have done on the electronics, exept this: when you take apart 4 single coil jazz pickups and make 2 humbuckers by hand, the resulting joinery/gluing may seem a little sloppy. That is, when you take the bass apart. As others have already attested, from all viewable angles, all the surfaces of the instrument were spotless. Cheers.