Eshenbaugh basses ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lewibassist, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Does anyone own a Eshenbaugh bass if so do you like it ?. Also what are the good and bad points about these basses.I want to try and get as much information about these basses as possible.

Thx Lewis
  2. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    I had a chance to play a J5 with a walnut top and alder body for quite a while.
    I also played a Brado with a bubinga top, and a fretless which must have been the thinnest and lightest (not to mention great sounding) I've played.
    All were excellent. The J5 appealled to me with the large body and all the attention to detail. Sounded great and played effortlessly. It just seemed to make me play better, faster, and more accurately.
    The bubinga was great too. I preferred the tone which had growl from beyond the grave.
    The fretless I had limited time on.
    Had a chance to talk with Mark for a while and he's a real nice guy. Heard a great CS story about him from Woodchuck where Mark sent his own father to deliver the bass Woodchuck ordered so that it would arrive on time. Maybe he can confirm this.
    Either way, I will own one eventually if prices are reasonable.
  3. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    I've played a few. A friend of mine let me borrow his 4 string Esh for a few weeks. great playability, very good tone. for what its worth I liked it enough to want to buy it from my buddy but he wasn't selling it
  4. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
  5. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    That SC5 of mine in the link above is up at Luthiers Access Group for sale now. I had to part with it before taking delivery due to finances.

If you want a bass that will play itself, sound great, and look just as good, then Eshenbaugh is the one. I've played quite a few of his basses, and have owned one and they're simply superb.
  6. daychris

Nov 2, 2003
    West Virginia
    I'll contribute to this one....I've got that amazing fretless....super thin, super light, and with a mean growl.... I don't even play my other basses anymore, and they were good ones...(warwick, tobias). Mark is also super cool to talk to...just like a regular guy only extremely talented. He's building me a single-cut 7 string right now, and every picture he sends just gets more and more amazing....Definitely a thumbs up. Chris
  7. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

Wow. I can't read.

Sorry to hear you don't have it any longer.
  8. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Where can I see some finished pics of that bass. I didn't see it at the LAG.
  9. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I'd email him and ask about it..Its been some time that the site hasn't been updated.
  10. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
  11. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    That's a killer bass...still find it hard to believe that you gave that one up. :( I just speced out a couple of Single-cut Black Forests this week with Mark and also have a couple of J5s in the works as well. I can't say how impressed I am with the work that Mark is doing. Maybe at some point down the line you can either get that bass back or have another one made...they're absolutely outstanding instruments! :D :hyper:
  12. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    LOOKS KILLER, sorry you had to sale it.......

Dan's is an awesome guy to deal with.....
  13. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Not to try to torture Soybase any more than he already has been, having to give up his Eshenbaugh and all :p, but I just got these "in progress" photos in that you might enjoy...
  14. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    ...and one more.
  15. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

I like the binding on the neck, JPJ...

I'm going to go wallow in my own sorrow now..
  16. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I kinda' feel bad torturing you like this, but I have to IS kind of fun! :D :p
  17. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Okay, who put the pea soup in the wood?

Is that more of Larry's (Hardwood Gallery) dyed through wood?
  18. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    That's amboyna still has the burl figuring but gives a unique color contrast. No colors added here...she's all natural! :D