1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Eshenbaugh Black Forest 6 SC, Special Drop

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Socratesis, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Socratesis

Socratesis Gold Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Price:
    Strings:
    Alright, this is my weekend "I need some ground effects for my Vette" sale...down from $2200 (already a great price) to $1900 shipped!!! Help me, Help you..:):)

I picked up this custom made bass from the original owner a couple years back on this forum (Matthew Wengerd). Great guy, great bass. I was in my exploration phase. I bought and sold many during that phase, this is one that I couldn't let go of. I was originally blown away by the tones and the feel of it. When I first picked it up it had a bridge issue, action was incredibly high. A day with my local Luthier took care of that. This bass plays beautifully, and can get a woody snarl that none of my other basses can get. I don't know how else to describe it, if it was in the shape of a jazz bass and had 5 strings, there is no way I would consider letting it go. It would be my go to. This bass can get so many 'different', great tones. The neck feels 'great' on this bass, but it is a 6, and that's not where I'm ending up (for now). I am pricing it lower than it was originally listed, because Matthew made me a good deal, I will pass it along. This needs a special home! $2200, plus shipping ***PRICE DROP*** 2100 SHIPPED!
    *** Update to information, This bass does indeed have side dots on the neck, I copied the info from the original thread, sorry.
    The string spacing is between 17 and 18 at the bridge.
    The intonation is generally adjusted by moving the bridge, which is very stable.
    Original Build thread
    .mew.'s Custom Eshenbaugh 6 Thread

6 string
    NECK:4 piece Flame Maple/Black Limba with black laminate
    FINGERBOARD: 34" scale 24 fret Gaboon Ebony
    BODY: Swamp Ash core, Alder wings, full Flame Koa top and Flame koa rear wing covers, Custom Koa-capped Ebony knobs from THG
    FINISH: Poly-oil
    PICKUPS: Nordstrand Dual Coils
    HARDWARE: Black Hipshot UL tuners
    NUT: brass
    BRIDGE: custom Ebony/Koa ESHENBAUGH IN-PLACE (floating)
    ELECTRONICS: Aguilar OBP-3 with coil taps and active/passive switch
    WEIGHT: 8.6 pounds

• Matching control cover, hidden hardware (incredibly clever, sturdy magnet design)
    • NO FRET MARKERS except for the Abalone silhouette design. BUT it has side dots.
    • Matching ramp
    • Stacked knobs matching diameter for low profile
    The bass is in excellent shape with one ding on the bottom of the body, shown in photos
    DSC07850 (1). DSC07879. DSC07868. DSC07870. DSC07853. DSC07855. DSC07856. DSC07858. DSC07859. DSC07860. DSC07861. DSC07862. DSC07865. DSC07871. DSC07875.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    tlockett, emjazz, Federighi and 5 others like this.
  2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    I played that bass with in a month of Matthew taking delivery, it is simply one of the most amazing Eshenbaugh's out there. Mark had a bunch that circulated in the Southeast around the mid-2000's; this one, a 7 that @The Eristic owned and a couple 5'ers that Robby Geisler (who used to work with Mark) had were some of the ones that I got to play during that time. This 6'er is one of the tops of his builds. GLWTS!

Socratesis and The Eristic like this.
  3. Socratesis

Nov 6, 2014
    Thanks J-raj, I appreciate the support...:thumbsup:

j-raj likes this.
  4. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I was just thinking about Rob when I saw this bass for sale! :)

GLWTS, I always liked Eshenbaughs style! These are pretty rare, I hope someone snatches it up quick!

Socratesis and j-raj like this.
  5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    How's Geisler doing these days, I bet he would love to know about this bass coming up for sale as well, even though I know he is mainly on 4's these days.

Socratesis likes this.
  6. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    He seems to be doing great. he's a good dude, and he speaks fondly of his time working with Eshenbaugh. Wish I had gotten to visit that shop while it was cranking out these lovelies, it was pretty close to where I live.

Socratesis and j-raj like this.
  7. I've literally had pictures of this bass stored on my computer for a few years. Hmmmmmm

Socratesis likes this.
  8. Socratesis

Nov 6, 2014
    Sorry, been out of town... Had some really good questions related to string spacing, side dots on the neck that incorrectly listed as none(but it does), and adjusting intonation that I haven't answered in the original description... Thanks everyone for your posts...

9. BTBOTTOM

BTBOTTOM Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2016
    Nashville
    Bass looks great. How would you characterize the current action on the bass? Also, just curious, how would you lower the action if the neck is straight? Thanks. Very interested.

Socratesis likes this.
  10. Socratesis

Nov 6, 2014
    Thanks BTBOTTOM, the action is very low (subjective, but I like it lower than most). The saddles on the bridge are screw in, so you can adjust the action on each string. It's quite easy. Hope that helps

11. Federighi

Federighi

Jun 19, 2011
    Burlingame, CA
    Simply amazing! GLWS

Socratesis likes this.
  12. Socratesis

Nov 6, 2014
    Thanks Federighi...

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Bronx, NY
    What an incredibly special bass. I wish Eshenbaugh had continued. His basses were so unique and all visually stunning.

Socratesis likes this.
  14. tlockett

tlockett Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Is this bas sold or is it still for sale?

Socratesis likes this.
  15. Socratesis

Nov 6, 2014
    Still for sale:thumbsup:

16. Socratesis

Nov 6, 2014
    Alright, this is my weekend "I need some ground effects for my Vette" sale...down from $2100 (already a great price) to $1900 shipped!!! Help me, Help you..
    :)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  17. bassnote6

bassnote6

Oct 15, 2002
    SYRACUSE NEW YORK
    Endorsing Artist:MTD Basses
    Actually it's down from 2100 to 1900.
    actually it's down from 2100 to 1900

Socratesis likes this.
  18. Socratesis

Nov 6, 2014
    Hilarious!!!:roflmao::roflmao: I copied and pasted from my other listing... Thanks bassnote6... Fixed...

19. Socratesis

Nov 6, 2014
    Sold this afternoon, thanks to everyone...:thumbsup:

ole Jason and J.Wolf like this.