1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eshenbaugh Cocobolo Top

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mstott25, Mar 16, 2009.

1. mstott25

mstott25

Aug 26, 2005
    Guntersville, AL
    I picked up this bass from the Atlanta Bass Gallery last week
    DSC01141. DSC01142.

It's an Eshenbaugh Tenor Bass (tuned E-C) and it has a Cocobolo one piece top over an Ash body.

I had a question about the Cocobolo top because right as I was packing the bass up to take it from the shop I noticed some small cracks in the top piece. At first I thought it was some wear from people playing it in the shop but as I looked more closely I could tell it was some tiny cracks that had developed. I asked Jim at ABG about it and he said the bass was like that when he got it and that it was normal for certain tops to develop small cracks like that.
    This bass is exactly what I was looking for with a deep woody sound and an amazing neck that really lends itself to my playing style. So I don't care about the looks or anything like that. My only concern is whether or not these cracks are going to spread or might develop further and whether or not there is something I should do to help this. I don't want a giant crack to appear under the bridge and totally destroy my bass here.

Are there any thoughts or opinions about this? Is this normal or should I have a local luthier check it out or put some sort of finish on the top wood that will prevent any further cracks?

I'll try to get some high resolution pictures of the cracks but in the meantime my little digital camera is not cutting it.

Thanks.

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Have you contacted Mark Eschenbaugh? I would. And give him either a pic or a serial number, as at least in the pic you have here, that doesn't look like cocobolo, more like mahogany or bubinga. It also looks - at least in that pic - like it could be a two-piece bookmatch.

3. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    +1 on the wood question. More like Bubinga to me.

Apart from that, I'd say if it's a solidbody, the top cracking shouldn't be a problem.

4. mstott25

mstott25

Aug 26, 2005
    Guntersville, AL
    Hey guys thanks for the information. I did try contacting Mark Eshenbaugh but haven't been successful so far and this was my next best course of action.

I think you're right about the top piece, I may have read the information incorrectly that came with the bass. It says Top Wood: 1 pc and then Fingerboard, bridge and tailpiece: Cocobolo. It doesn't look like it actually lists what kind of wood the top piece is so you guys were also helpful there!

It's a solid body so that makes me feel better that the cracks are not a problem. I'm still going to update this thread once I get some high resolution pics just to add them in case it will be useful at all but in the meantime thanks a lot guys.