1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eshenbaugh @ Elderly

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NicJimBass, Apr 19, 2010.

1. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    The bass in question

I saw this bass in person, and was a little suprised to see that the hardware and electronics came from an Ibanez. The bridge is stamped with the Ibby logo, and the electronics are Bart MK-1, which are standard on mid-level Ibby's.

So here's my question- why such a high price tag on a bass that is handmade, yet uses run of the mill hardware and electronics? At this price point, I would definitely expect something more, like Hipshot hardware and nicer electronics, but that may just be me. Discuss.

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Bizzare. I like the workmanship, but who would pay $2500 for a bass with obviously inferior electronics and hardware?

3. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    Especially since the "clear coat finish is a little rough" according to the ad. Still, that's what happens when you take something on consignment.

And honestly, those Bart MK1 electronics are pretty nice. But I'd be a little annoyed if all the hardware was pulled off of a SR506 and slapped on a $2500+ custom.

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
  5. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    When I saw it, I was like "Woah! that's nice!", but then I saw the bridge, and then the hardware, and then the pickups, THEN the pricetag, and I simply walked away shaking my head.

6. itsalljustaride

itsalljustaride

Sep 23, 2009
    I saw that bass too. Didn't get to play it yet. I'm with the theory that it's an earlier instrument. His main models now are the J, Brado, and Black Forest AFAIK. Never seen or heard of another "Stallion". If that is the case, then there is a chance the hardware was scavenged from a parts-bass, etc. Again though, like IntrepidCellist said, the Bart electronics ARE pretty nice. Maybe not $2500 nice, but like others have said, that's consignment for ya. In a sense, that's Elderly for ya too. I find their prices on used bass gear to be somewhat steep sometimes, especially the higher up the ladder you go. The good part is that usually they can be reasoned with. Good people.

7. itsalljustaride

itsalljustaride

Sep 23, 2009
    Mark's website has been "under construction" for as long as I've tried to access it. Wonder what happened to him. I'd be more than happy to build the guy a nice site in exchange for some price-shaving on a bass :)

8. Sbociol

Sbociol

Feb 24, 2009
    The MK-1 pick ups and electronics sound just dull and plasticky IMO...I wouldn't certainly shell 2500 bucks for a bass I'd have to upgrade.

9. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    This, I first looked about two years ago, get on the ball for real.

10. itsalljustaride

itsalljustaride

Sep 23, 2009
    Even odder when you consider he's still gotta be paying for the hosting and DNS registration....but what for?

11. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    I know plenty of TB'ers that have done that barter in the past... see what he says.

I like the look of this one, which is the standard looking headstock that Mark uses, that's why the one in the OP looks almost like a one-off:
    732_Eshenburg_Bass_022.

12. Good question, and I'd ask the same of these Henman bass that comes with EMG HZ pickups.

http://www.henmanguitars.com/index.php/instruments/B4/C17

13. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    I read they chose those pickups because they sounded best in that bass, which, if they did the research, and came to that conclusion, I can respect. Like others have said, it looks like he had a donor Ibanez bass that gave up it's hardware and guts for this other bass. I wouldn't pay $2500 for it, but to each his own.

14. Well, if you remember, Phil Maneri questioned the choice of pickups in that bass as well. Frankly, I find it hard to believe EMG HZ pickups would truly be "ideal" in that expensive bass...

Anyhoo. :)

15. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    I totally agree on all counts, but I assume they tested a bunch of pickups and eventually settled on the HZ's. I'm sure Jaquo could chime in on the particulars.

Perhaps there is just a stigma with the HZ's being a "lesser" pickup because they're cheaper than their active brethren? I seem to always think that myself.

16. Well, I'll just say that I haven't cared for the HZ pickups I've tried before, but the higher end EMGs have been fine.

I admit I haven't really tried basses with Bart MK-1 pickups, so I can't say much about them, but I also wouldn't expect to see them in a higher end bass.

17. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    There are a couple Ibanez's at the Morse Rd. GC that have them, and they sound good for a bass in that price range, but yeah, I would expect more from a bass in the Esh's price range.

18. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    It's a strong possibility that the Eshenbaugh is an early one. And if it came in used and not from Mark himself some one could have taken out the original pickups and replaced them with the Bart MK-1 series as well as the Ibanez hardware.

As far as EMG HZ pickups, I have no issues with them at all. I like EMG pickups. They are very clean and quite.

I own a HenBev B4 bass and I dig the way it sounds. All the bass players that have heard it or played it themselves has never said that bass sounds horrible. In fact they dig the tone and it's versatility(the bass is passive). And the interesting thing is that none of them have said I don't think I want to play that bass with those EMG Hz's in it.

I think that those who actually has an issue with the EMG HZ/s really wouldn't know the difference in them vs the other EMG Bass series pickups if they heard them side by side.

Take HZ off the pickups and they wouldn't have no reason to complain :)

I'm a HenBev endorser.