Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eshenbaugh P'up covers and Knobs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by .matthew e wengerd., Jun 17, 2005.

1. As we are well into the build process, I need to figure out what I want in the way of p'up covers and knobs on my bass.

This Eshenbaugh SC6 has an ash/alder body with Koa front and back. The neck will be maple/black limba/*black veneer*/black limba/maple. The board will be gaboon ebony and the bridge will be ebony as well. All hardware black.

Do I go for contrast or compliment on the p'up covers? If the top is koa, it won't be grain matched, so should the grain of the covers run parallel or perpendicular to the top?

For knobs, I'm pretty set on koa-topped. Should they be ebony, ash, or alder?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Contrast. Busy tops like that need to be broken up visually, otherwise it's really overwhelming -- think of it like "bad" naked vs. "good" naked. Small things make all the difference, and IMO, a set of nicely contrasting pickup covers would look great on that. Ebony or black limba covers would be pretty neat, IMO.

3. Agreed. My real gripe is that ebony covers, while a good contrast, tend to look like black plastic covers from more than 4 feet away. I'd like a pieve of ebony with just a bit of sapwood that could be used for p'up covers and FB.

4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Match the fingerboard, but I agree on the ebony covers looking like plastic from far away...Maybe maple would be kinda cool or kinda not. It's hard for me to visualize it at this hour :p

5. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    My two cents is use Macassar Ebony. It looks cool, will contrast well and is durable as heck. BTW, that Koa is freakin' sexy!

Good luck and keep posting pics,

CJ

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Get some ebonized maple or something, it'll be a lot cheaper than ebony, look almost the same, and be easier to work with.

7. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    That is ome sweet looking Koa!

8. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    You could try doing the knobs and pup covers in black korina :)

9. the issue isn't cost. i can do ebony covers. the issue is that jet black ebony tends not to look like wood from more than a couple feet away. if i'm getting wood p'up covers, i want people to be able to tell they're wood.

while the promary goal of this bass is to sound good, what will really impress my non-musical family, friends, and acquaintances is things like wood knobs and p'up covers.

plus, in the world of db (of which i also claim membership), ebonized is a 8-letter word.

Cliff - thanks for the props. that means a lot coming from you. btw - what part of town are you in? i used to work for the orlando phil and live in lakeland. i'd love to visit your shop one day.

Cherns - i though about that a lot, but i have received a lot of advice that a busier wood like the limba on top would make it a little too busy. what i think might be a good compromise is a piece of gaboon ebony with a little streakiness or some sapwood, just to give a small bit of interest and keep those covers from looking plastic.

10. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Gaboon ebony with light streaks would be a good compromise, but if you're all out to impress - why not add some kinda abalone/silver trim/inlay to it at the same time?

I like the idea of having each of your initials at the bottom corner of the pup covers. IMO, uber cool if executed tastefully :)

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    IMO, silver trim on slightly-streaked gaboon ebony would be *beautiful.* Go for it!

12. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    I am about 2 minutes from John Young and I-4.
    Come on by!!

13. Are you talking about framing the p'up covers? If so, I'm not too sure about that. Please elaborate, Cherns. I do like the initials idea. I'm toying with a ramp (it's adding a bit of dough) and would prefer to have the initials there just in case. (resale plummets when the customization is exclusive to you, you know)

14. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    This was what I roughly had in mind (excuse the hack PS job)

[​IMG]

You thinking about resale value already?? ;)
    I don't think modding the pup covers will hurt the resale value... you can just swap it out for another one.

15. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    how about ash, like the tone block on the back? i think that makes a nice contrast.... or maybe some purpleheart? or if you want to go really nuts (assuming this is possible and not TOO cost prohibitive), why not get them to match the pieces of your neck? striped across with different colors would look purty... or you could do purpleheart,maple, ebony striped...

16. Cherns, that just made my jaw hit the floor. I really like that idea and am shocked that I've never thought about a similar design in the past for anything. That's a great take on the initials. It'd look great in silver, but I'm thinking I couldn't afford that. perhaps MOP to match my 12th fret.

I actually like the idea of both inlays, the horizontal one in the neck position and the vertical in the bridge position.

Oh, and i got so burned on my Warrior that resale value has become an important factor in any bass decision. I don't plan on getting rid of this ever (I don't flip much at all like some of the cats around here), but I'd like to think of myself as responsible enough to plan for the unplanned when possible.

That said, it wouldn't be too much to switch them out before it ever went on the block (God forbid).

17. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I'm glad you like it :)
    I don't think silver is very much more expensive than MOP, and I think abalone would be a better match for ebony than MOP if you decide that silver doesn't fit into your budget.

If you're intending to have both designs on the pup covers, I'd suggest

1) Shifting the vertical design on the bridge pup to the left and...
    2) curving the left end of the horizontal line on the neck pup so that it looks like it's leading down to the vertical line on the bridge pup.

It'd lend some continuity to the design so that they both look as though they belong to the same idea rather than two seperate ones.

I was kidding about the resale value :) It's a major factor in most people's minds even though they don't say it out loud - especially so in my country. You can forget about selling high end gear here if they can't hold their value in the used market.

18. I actaully really like the stark contrast of MOP on Ebony. Silver would be way cool, though. Can you maybe hack a little more PS to show me what you're talking about on the design? I see it, but I'd like to see it.

19. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    A little background for contrast? :)

[​IMG]