Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ESP 30th Anniversary Bass... Your Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGod, Sep 24, 2005.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Well, (I think) I finally found a replacement bass for my Squier P. :p After playing quite a few basses, I came across the ESP B2005. It sounded and played great, and I love the simple look and the neck-through design.

I'm just looking for your thoughts/opinions/experiences with this bass, or any ESP bass in general.

I've heard some horror stories about ESP bridges, and I'm uber worried that I'll have the same problem. Does anyone know if they've fixed this problem, or if the problem applies to this model?

Has anyone found the 35" scale to be a difficult adjustment?

Finally, will my effects sound different/worse through active pick-ups than they do through my passive bass?

[​IMG]

P.S. The inlay is really cool. :)

Graeme :bassist:

2. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Also, does anyone use their ESP for anything other than hard rock/metal? (I'm in my school's jazz band, as well as my own hard rock band)

Graeme

3. I don't think your effects will sound different. I've used both passive and active and they sound the same.

I also agree that the inlay is cool. :smug:

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've played several ESPs, and while they're not my speed, they are nice enough basses, and the bridge seemed as solid as any. It'd make a great rock/metal axe, matter of fact, that's ESPs bread and butter crowd.

The 35" scale shouldn't be an issue unless you make it one.

5. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I was going to buy an ESP. I forget what one. I thought the bridge was alright. But you really can't tell in the store.

6. It should work for a Jazz band. Black is simple and elegant...

...but a B.C. would be pushing it. :p

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Agreed. The 30th An. bass there is rock, but in a classic sort of way. It wouldn't look out of place in a jazz band, but would look totally at home in a rock band.

8. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Thanks for your thoughts so far. Keep 'em comin'.

I just have one more question: Will the EMG pick-ups provide a lot of mids? I need a lot of mid presence to cut through the guitars. As this bass is built for metal, I would assume ESP would choose pick-ups that are naturally mid-heavy, no?

If not, I suppose I could just crank the mids on my amp.

Graeme :bassist:

9. I quote Nino V. as saying "Some people describe EMG pickups as having a bright sound with a lot of trebble"

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Depends on the EMGs. Are they "real" EMGs (35DC, 40DC, 35P, etc) or EMG-HZs? The EMG-Hz are a pretty...well, bland sounding pickup. But I mean that in a good way. Bland is better than sucking, right? Certainly don't sound bad.
    They'll do whatever you tell them; some people dislike the way they sound, but I've had them in a couple of Spectors, and can't complain (neither can Ray Salamon, owner of my previous NS2000/5).

If you want a bass that'll get you there, I think you're on the right track.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Depends if they're active EMGs, or the passive HZs, IMHO. Like I said above, the HZs don't really sound much like the active EMGs.

12. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    According to ESP's site: EMG 35-DC/P4 Active pick-ups.

So this means?

(please excuse my n00bish inquiries)

Graeme

EDIT: The bass also has an EMG B64 Active EQ, if that means anything.

13. The EMGs in that bass are EMG 35DC/P4

So I'm guessing the neck has a 35DC and the bridge has a EMG P4.

*Edit* Bah, beat me to it BassGod

14. The ESP LTD B-2005 is out of stock at MusiciansFriend. So ESP must have done something right.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Active EMGs, then? Then you'll be fine. It'll be a punchy bright sound with a compressed high end and bit of emphasis on low-mids. Good bass response, as well. The EMG's will be bright, but they sound great, and record quite well.

..hell, now I'm eyeballing it.

16. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    to bad they didnt make and sell esp jazz basses from what i've seen on the site. but i see japanese esp jazz basses. they look pretty nice and have active electronics. it'd be great if they made or sold them here in the usa as well.

17. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I really like the 30th aniversary ESP, I wish they made that feature set standard across their line. I'd love an F style body with active pickups and an ebony fingerboard.

I've used my F205 with passive EMG HZs in Jazz bands. It looks a little out of place but sounded fine. I find this bass has more mid than I like. I never have a problem getting enough mids to cut through whatever I'm playing under.

I've played other basses with active EMGs and find them more full ranged but easily steered towards any sound with the EQ. I think someone here said it best: "you could put EMGs on a baseball bat and it would still sound nice".

Oh yeah bridge problems. I've never had a problem with the bridge on my ESP. Some people here have. From what I could find researching it online it appears that ESP got a batch of defective bridges from one of their suppliers and they slipped through QC. There was nothing intrinsicly wrong with the bridges (which are actually Gotoh). I doubt you would find a new build ESP exhibiting the same problem, and I would certainly not hesitate to buy another one of their basses.

18. For your question on EMG's I have the EMG-PJ set, and I can achieve any sound I want from them. They're awesome, so since you the active EMG's and all that good stuff I would'nt worry about the sound and the capabilities of them if I were you.

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That was me, and I said (more or less): "You could staple EMGs to a 2x4 and it'd sound good for metal." But, by and large, yes.

20. bassksun

bassksun Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    I'm pretty happy with my my fretless 4. I had an badass bridge installed before I took it home. I thought the stock was flimsy.
    It is a little treblely for jazz...I have to play higher on the neck to get the deeper sounds. The passives are ummm bright...I think thats the right word. Get a good setup tech.

Peace