ESP B205 vs Jackson JS3V?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by goat123, Nov 5, 2019.

1. goat123

goat123

Nov 5, 2019
    Hi, this is my very first post here and recently I've decided that i want to pick up bass along with guitar. I've dug around and through many videos, reviews, and prices i've found myself thinking between a ESP B205 or Jackson JS3V 5 string bass for heavy metal and rock music. If anybody has had experience with either, i'd appreciate your input about its pros and cons. If you have an opinion about which seems better for rock or metal music, please elaborate. Thank you for your time.

2. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I never had a B205, but I do have 2 JS3V's. I recorded some audio with the blue one if you have a good stereo to listen to it on and want to get an idea of what it sounds like when I first got my USB interface and was messing around with it.

Fairly light, and used, quite a LOT cheaper than the ESP.
    [​IMG]

3. goat123

goat123

Nov 5, 2019
    Just what I was looking for, thanks! Great playing too.

4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

B205 is a LTD model number.
    LTD are good value for money!

5. goat123

goat123

Nov 5, 2019
    Yes I agree. I've used many Ltd instruments and have an Ltd guitar I've used constantly for 15 years, but the price of the B205 is out of my range. Also id like to reiterate that i just need a bass to start out with, maybe i'll consider a more expensive one down the line. The JS3V is considerably cheaper, active (pickups), and has a compound radius, not to mention the aesthetics of Jackson instruments. Thanks for your input and time!

6. Killed_by_Death

Neither instrument has active pickups. Most basses with batteries in them actually have passive pickups & the battery is for the pre-amp.
    I always throw out the GSR100EXMOL when someone is looking for a cheap bass:
    They do make a GSR105, & I once owned one that weighed less than 6 lbs..
    The pickup is high-output & sounds great.
    fully-passive

7. goat123

goat123

Nov 5, 2019
    Thanks for mentioning the pickups being passive, never noticed that. As for the Ibanez you recommended, I actually thought about a GSR205 at one point but settled at the ESP and Jackson because I could finance the ESP at about $16 a month and with the Jackson only costing about $50 more used.

8. Killed_by_Death

LTD are made in Indonesia, ESP are made in Japan & cost a lot more.

Don't forget to check your local pawn-shops. The 5-strings tend to stick around longer in our local pawn-shops.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  9. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    The Jackson looks nice. The headstock isn't my cup of tea, but it makes me think metal and/or 80's.

I've only tried the b205sm, it felt great. I've never held an Ltd that didn't have a fantastic feeling neck. That includes my D4 & long gone $180 B50. They're just well made axes.

Try out a variety of basses, something unexpected might feel and sound best.

amimbari likes this.